Account Manager at Pathable, Inc. in Seattle, WA
Let me tell you something about our customers: they’re an ornery lot.
Don’t get me wrong, big respect and all, but when your job is to make sure that 20,000 people who arrived in a foreign city an hour ago get through registration quickly and into the convention hall where your $100,000 speaker is ready to proclaim the future on 40′ video screens, and the speaker better be on time and not drunk, and the A/V equipment better work the first time, right down to that flaky lapel mic, and someone better have remembered to restock the TP in the restrooms, well, you have a good reason to be intolerant of things going off plan.
Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to make these people happy.
Pathable provides private, branded social networks to conferences and events. Our account managers are responsible for everything from the moment the sale closes on. You’ll master our provisioning and deployment dashboard, you’ll be sweet-talking the important details out of the harried and over-worked event planners that are our customers, preparing and launching the sites, and then providing “best practices” nudges and hand-holding to help them get the most out of the on-line community you built for them. When something goes wrong and a customer calls, hot under the collar, you’re imperturbable. When they finish talking to you, they’re thinking “whew, that’s one less thing I need to worry about!”
We are a Web 2.0 company (ugh, put a quarter in the jar for using that phrase), which means you should be adept and comfortable with computers, the Internet and the modern way of doing things: you know when to right-click in your browser, you use formulas in Excel, you’re on Skype, you can tell me why you prefer your mobile device to the one that you don’t have. You can send a text message (without using any of the following: ROFL, LOL, or most especially 4EVA), you check your e-mail somewhat obsessively and you know that sometimes, work has to be done at 1 AM because it has to be done at 1 AM.
You are fun to work with, you dress however you feel like, and you don’t mind company meetings that might take you on a bus ride.
Essential Job Functions
- Provision, configure and deploy Pathable communities for our customers using our web-based management dashboard
- Educate conference planners and other customers on the use of the community tools using the phone, e-mail and GoToMeeting / web conferencing
- Provide Tier 1 support to conference planners and attendees on the use of the community service, by phone and e-mail
- Cool hot tempers, amuse the amusable
- Ensure our customers meet their goals successfully and with a minimum of hassle
- Provide integrity and credibility as the “main point of contact” for your customers
- Provide input and insights into how to make the process more effective or more efficient
- Proven success in customer relations
- Grace under pressure
- Excellent problem-solving abilities, instinct to figure out “how to do it” when faced with a “it can’t be done”
- Proven ability to successfully communicate company goals and vision to customers and prospects
- Comfort and facility with modern computers, the Internet, and the web lifestyle
- Superior communication and demonstration skills (verbal and written)
- Self-motivated professional who operates well in an empowered, dynamic, and fast-paced environment
- Creative and strategic thinking skills to help introduce, develop and promote new ideas into corporate vision, marketing strategy and programs
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, prioritize effectively and meet deadlines with minimal staff support
- Strong organization, planning and execution skills with an emphasis on successful delivery against established goals.
Desired but not required
- College degree
- 2+ years in the conference and event industry in a customer-touch position (including sales, customer service, or support)
- Experience in the technology field, and in particular, experience in translating technical products and services into meaningful value for customers and prospects
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Health insurance
- Mix of work-from-office and work-from-home schedule
- Joie de vivre