User Modeling and Social Modeling for Behavior Change Systems at PARC, a Xero...
We’re seeking a full-time researcher in Augmented Social Cognition to develop new user modeling and social modeling theory and techniques to support online and mobile behavior change technologies in areas such as health and wellness. These models will be key to new ways of providing personalized, socially supported, context aware scaffolding for achieving goals.
The ideal candidate is a User Modeling/Social Modeling researcher with a PhD and expertise in intelligent user-adaptive interaction systems, with multidisciplinary expertise spanning artificial intelligence, cognitive science, data mining, machine learning, recommender systems, natural language processing, and social network analysis.
• You are a superstar researcher with a desire to have impact on the real world
• You have a strong background in theoretically grounded but applied user/social modeling, including cognitive models, behavioral models, models of personality, emotion, intent, and preferences, and social graph models
• You want to work in a small, high-velocity, professional technology R&D team
• You are inspired by opportunities in the online and mobile space for sustainable behavior change, particularly in the health and wellness domain
• You are proficient in cognitive modeling and computational intelligence methods
• You can write elegant, maintainable, reusable code – we need someone who can conduct research and implement working solutions based on that research
• You have experience in scientific research, algorithm design, and software development
• You can work autonomously, but care about culture and interacting with other talented people
• You can present, articulate, and support your ideas in a collaborative team setting
• You want to create and lead a research agenda, opening up new avenues while focusing on difficult real-world problems
• Familiarity with iOS, Android, and Web platforms
• Knowledge or experience in SOA, SaaS, cloud computing, and mobile platforms
• Familiarity with state-of-the-art user modeling, machine learning, and social computing technologies
• Previous experience in an applied R&D setting working with other PhD level research scientists
If this sounds like you, please apply with a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this position.
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC’s Intelligent Systems Laboratory is a research organization unlike any other. We combine the best of a top-notch research university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company. We meld our world-class innovation chops with researching and developing real-world applications that have market potential, focusing on creating new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world in order to have real impact, and we need superb research talent to make that happen.
Augmented Social Cognition is a highly interdisciplinary group, brought together by the desire to push the capabilities of current social media through understanding of social behavior and invention of algorithms and technology frameworks. Join our world class research team as a research lead in the development of new user modeling and social modeling theory and techniques to support online and mobile behavior change technologies.