User Modeling and Social Modeling for Behavior Change Systems at PARC, a Xero...
PhD with experience in User Modeling/Social Modeling
We’re seeking a full time researcher in the Interactive Intelligence Group to develop new user modeling and social modeling theory and techniques to support online and mobile behavior change technologies in areas such as health and wellness. These models will be key to new ways of providing personalized, socially supported, context aware scaffolding for achieving goals.
The ideal candidate is a User Modeling/Social Modeling researcher with a PhD and expertise in intelligent user-adaptive interaction systems, with multidisciplinary expertise spanning artificial intelligence, cognitive science, data mining, machine learning, recommender systems, natural language processing, and social network analysis.
- You are a passionate researcher with a desire to make things that have impact on the real world
- You have a strong background in theoretically grounded but applied user/social modeling, including cognitive models, behavioral models, models of personality, emotion, intent, and preferences, and social graph models
- You excel at deep research at lean start up speed, and want to work in a small, high-velocity R&D team
- You are inspired by opportunities in the online and mobile space for sustainable behavior change, particularly in the health and wellness domain
- You are proficient in cognitive modeling and computational intelligence methods
- You have strong development skills, preferably in Python, Java, Lisp, and/or mobile app frameworks
- You have previous experience in an applied R&D setting
- You work best in a highly collaborative team of very driven individuals
- You want to create and lead a research agenda focusing on difficult real-world problems
If this sounds like you, please apply with a resume and cover letter (required) explaining your interest in this position. Please do not submit a “generic” letter; we want to know why you want to work with us in particular and what you will bring to our team.
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (see http://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
We like to say we’re in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, government agencies, and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the GUI and Ethernet to ubiquitous computing and laser printing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
PARC’s Intelligent Systems Laboratory is a research organization unlike any other. We combine the best of a top-notch research university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company. We meld our world-class innovation chops with researching and developing real-world applications that have market potential, focusing on creating new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world in order to have real impact, and we need superb research talent to make that happen.
The highly interdisciplinary Interactive Intelligence group is focused on inventing new technologies that make people smarter. Join our world-class research team as a research lead in the development of new user modeling and social modeling theory and techniques to support online and mobile behavior change technologies.