Psycholinguistics and User Modeling at PARC, a Xerox company in Palo Alto, CA
PhD student in machine learning, data mining, or natural language processing
About the Job:
PARC’s Contextual Intelligence Group develops methods for modeling and predicting user interest, intent and personality from textual data. The group has collected large data sets of email, Facebook and user behavior including a set of “ground truth” variables for analysis and prediction. We are seeking an outstanding graduate student to construct and evaluate different models of user psychology and motivation derived from written text, Facebook posts, and social network information.
- Derive correlations between textual and social network features and target psychological variables
- Develop predictive models for user psychology and motivations
- Evaluate constructed predictive models on collected data sets
- PhD candidate in machine learning, data mining, or natural language processing
- Expertise in text analytics
- Familiarity with social networking sites, particularly Facebook, and social network analysis
- Experience with “psycholinguistics” is a plus
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
As one of the most prolific innovation centers in the world, PARC offers an exceptional internship experience. Considered valuable members of our community, interns are fully integrated into the daily activities of PARC's highly collaborative, multidisciplinary culture.
For more information on the PARC internship program visit http://www.parc.com/internship