Intellectual Capital Management (multiple positions) at PARC, a Xerox company...
Students in good standing enrolled in an accredited MBA/ MS/ JD/ PhD program
About the Job:
Palo Alto Research Center's (PARC) Intellectual Capital Management & Commercialization (ICM) team has designed an internship environment that extends academic coursework into real-world technology commercialization where business value is created and realized from intellectual property (IP) assets. Selected students will be paired with an experienced ICM professional who will act both as a mentor and manager of the student's activities at PARC.
Intern projects will provide exposure to one or more facets of ICM commercial vehicles, including:
- Research targeting of intellectual property creation for commercial impact
- Intellectual property portfolio characterization and analysis
- Valuation of businesses, transactions, and technology
- Development and/or analysis of technology commercialization business cases
- Participation in transactional work and/or negotiations (e.g., licensing/ litigation/ spin-outs)
The ideal candidate is someone who understands the intersection of technology, business and law. In general, we are looking for someone that can quickly learn new things and is able to take responsibility and initiatives on their own as you will be faced with new technologies and issues you probably haven’t encountered before throughout the internship experience. We will collaboratively select and design the project in alignment with your interests/ expertise, and draw on actual work to ensure that the project is grounded in the realities of an actual commercial endeavor (rather than an artificial case-study exercise). [More about PARC industry and IP contributions]
- Providing various written deliverables depending on project (e.g., business case, financial forecast, negotiation strategy)
- Presenting findings/results
- Taking responsibility regarding everything from meeting sometimes short deadlines to generally taking initiatives on various projects
- "Intangibles" such as learning, teaching, challenging assumptions, sharing ideas and also enjoying our experience (we keep an open climate within the group)
- Students in good standing enrolled in an accredited MBA/ MS/ JD/ PhD program
- Will have completed at least one year of graduate-level study before beginning their internship
- Particularly relevant areas of study include technology commercialization, entrepreneurship, intellectual property, finance/venture funding or research management
- At least 2 professional references are required (one may be a graduate faculty member) – written recommendations from these references are strongly preferred, and they should be available for a follow-up phone conversation
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.
As one of the most prolific innovation centers in the world, PARC offers an exceptional internship experience. Considered valuable members of our community, interns are fully integrated into the daily activities of PARC's highly collaborative, multidisciplinary culture.
For more information on the PARC internship program visit http://www.parc.com/internship