Digital Design and Manufacturing at PARC, a Xerox company in Palo Alto, CA
Researcher with experience in scientific programming, algorithm design and development
About the Job
We are searching for a Digital Design and Manufacturing Researcher who’ll help us apply AI technologies to manufacturing in order to “customize” the conception, design, and fabrication of products – whether it is a robot, printer, vehicle, or an aircraft designed by a professional designer at an enterprise or a consumer product designed personally at home.
We are looking for someone with broad multidisciplinary background and interests spanning the intersection of design and manufacturing automation, geometric modeling, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and human computer interaction. You’ll partner with a team of researchers as the digital design and manufacturing expert who will architect, develop, integrate and test a new design front-end which will bring direct digital manufacturing and other rapid manufacturing technologies to the service of product designers.
- You desire working in a small, high-velocity professional technology development team.
- You are inspired by computer supported collaborative intelligence and open innovation initiatives.
- You are proficient in basic geometric modeling and computational geometry methods. Ideally, you have demonstrated practical skills with computational design synthesis and 3D generative modeling techniques.
- You have practical knowledge of 3D modeling tools.
- You can write elegant, maintainable, reusable code – we need someone who can go beyond engineering, the majority of this role requires programming. Experience in scientific programming, algorithm design and development is required.
- You can work autonomously, but care about culture and working with other talented people. You know how to set the pace while maintaining quality.
- You can open up new avenues and keep things realistic; this team solves amazing problems – you’re integral to that, and you’re partnering with the research team to achieve brilliant solutions.
- Familiarity with open-source software and related business models
- Knowledge or experience in SOA, SaaS, cloud computing, and mobile platforms
- Familiarity with WebGL
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art user modeling and machine learning technologies
- Previous experience in an applied R&D setting working with other Ph.D. level research scientists
We offer a very competitive salary package and full benefits (medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, 401K). PARC employees enjoy the use of onsite health & fitness center and collegial dining at our onsite cafeteria. The PARC campus is in a spacious modern building in close proximity to the resources and opportunities of Silicon Valley and benefits from nearby leading universities such as Stanford and Berkeley. It is also close to many amenities, top schools, and outdoor activities (seehttp://www.parc.com/about/culture.html). PARC provides a highly diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (see http://www.parc.com/about/careers/).
About the group
PARC’s Intelligent Systems Laboratory (ISL) research organization is unlike any other. Combine the best of an esteemed research group, a top-notch university, an entrepreneurial startup, and a premiere technology company and you get ISL. Our group melds its world-class innovation chops with researching and developing real-world applications that have market potential, focusing on creating new business options and opportunities. We’re driven to get our ideas out of the lab and into the world, and we need superb research talent to make that happen.
At PARC we like to say we’re in the business of breakthroughs – join our world class research team as the digital design and manufacturing lead who busts through the glass with us and help us re-invent new rules that will define the future of manufacturing.
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients.
Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients' businesses.