Assistant Managing Editor at The Daily Beast in New York, NY
In February 2011 the revered, 80 year old Newsweek and the thriving young IAC-founded news and current affairs site – The Daily Beast – joined forces, bringing together the 24/7 warp speed of the Web with the depth, analysis, and investigative power of one of the standard bearers of great American journalism. The combined operation now regularly attracts over 18 million unique online visitors a month and the magazine reaches millions more through its tablet and international editions. Tina Brown, former editor of Tatler, Vanity Fair, the New Yorker and Talk, host of CNBC’s ‘Topic A’ and author of the NY Times best-seller The Diana Chronicles serves as editor in chief of both publications.
- Winner of the 2012 Webby Award for Best News Site.
- Active social media community of over 3.2 million.
- The Daily Beast regularly attracts over 18 million unique visitors a month and 92 million page views
Assistant Managing Editor
Newsweek Global is seeking a detailed and organized assistant managing editor for its web and tablet editions.
- Managing the closing process of the digital publication reviewing each story and securing signoffs from all relevant parties needed.
- Coordinate weekly story pitches, bi-weekly brainstorming sessions and daily staff meetings.
- Oversee the the news calendar and edit/ad calendar.
- Organize content schedule for issues of the digital magazine and act as the liaison between edit, art, and photo teams ensuring communication on status of text, photos/photo shoots, illustrations and layouts.
- Act as a point person for questions and general assistance on all content matters.
- 2+ year of experience in web or print journalism
- Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy on both PC and Mac
- Familiarity with web CMS is a plus
- Extremely detail oriented
- Have a thorough knowledge of current events and newsmakers, online media and blogs
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete tasks efficiently and handle tight deadlines
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Ability to work flexible schedule