Spread the word
Not the right job?
Program Associate Senegal at myAgro in Tambacounda, Senegal
myAgro is a start-up nonprofit in West Africa that works with a network of local vendors to help small-scale farmers save up for fertilizer, seed and training packages using a mobile technology platform. Farmers pay for their agricultural investments on layaway and we provide technical training and market access to increase harvests and farmer income. In our pilot last year, farmers increased their cereals harvest by over 80% and we secured a 10% premium on market prices for their harvests. Our plan is to grow to serve over 75,000 farmers in Mali and Senegal in the next 5 years. We believe the key to ending rural poverty is helping small-scale farmers move beyond subsistence farming and towards being food sufficient and selling their surplus on the market. myAgro was incubated by One Acre Fund, an award-winning organization in Kenya. myAgro has received multiple awards in recognition of our innovative mobile savings model including competitive fellowships from Rainer Arnhold, Echoing Green and Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation. Learn more at www.myagro.org.
We’re looking to fill this senior position with someone dynamic, mission-oriented and ready to help us design our program model to be as efficient and effective as possible. Program Associates manage a portfolio of 2-4 projects with a mix of field-based and office-based projects. The exact mix of projects will depend on our needs at the time as well as your background. The position will be based in Eastern Senegal with some travel to Dakar and Bamako as needed.
Example project portfolio of past Program Associates:
- Design a women’s peanut program – work with local agronomists to create an easy-to-understand planting training, develop an enrollment calendar, marketing materials and field agent enrollment guide. Complete field visits to improve materials based on farmer and staff feedback. Track regular program indicators to adjust strategy and calendar as needed.
- Develop a field agent recruitment process including job description, advertising, interviewing and selection process and develop/lead a set of new field agent trainings. Improve process based on learnings, feedback and observations.
- Create a leadership pipeline by selecting high-potential field agents, developing a career development plan template and developing/leading trainings to support the field agents’ professional growth.
- Use sales analysis and customer enrollment data to develop efficient reports for field staff and vendors and develop marketing tools to drive increases in savings payments.
Required Background and Skills:
- 100% head-over-heels in love with our mission and model. Believes that ending rural poverty is possible and incredibly important.
- Oral and written fluency in French and English. **Please do not apply if you do not speak French at the time of application.
- Bachelors Degree, Masters preferred
- At least 1 year of international living experience, preferably in a developing country
- 2-5+ years of work experience in a related job (project management, Peace Corps, international development, microfinance, community organizing, etc.)
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Detail oriented
- Strong communication skills and proven ability to work across different cultures
- Willing to live, work and travel in rural settings
- Ability to work independently and move projects forward despite unforeseen hurdles
- As with any start up, we’ll have the usual amount of chaos/confusion/stress and lessons “learned along the way” so flexibility, a sense of humor and an open mind will make life and work less stressful for all of us.
- Start date: flexible but we would prefer a start date as soon as possible.
- This is a 2-year contract with an option to renew. Strong performers will be eligible for raises, promotions and additional responsibilities as a Program Manager, Program Director or Country Director.
- You will get regular feedback, career reviews and support on professional development as you are promoted.
- Working for a fun, young start up!
- Compensation is very modest, but will grow according to performance.
- Flights to West Africa, housing and travel insurance are included.
- Language lesson stipends
- Additional benefits will be added as we grow.
- Please upload your résumé and letter of interest. Please include a short paragraph on why you think you'll succeed in a start up.