Finance Director at myAgro in Various, CA
myAgro is a start-up nonprofit in West Africa that works with a network of local vendors to help small-scale farmers save up for fertilizer, seed and training packages using a mobile technology platform. Farmers pay for their agricultural investments on layaway and we provide technical training and market access to increase harvests and farmer income. In our pilot last year, farmers increased their cereals harvest by over 80% and we secured a 10% premium on market prices for their harvests. Our plan is to grow to serve over 75,000 farmers in Mali and Senegal in the next 5 years. We believe the key to ending rural poverty is helping small-scale farmers move beyond subsistence farming and towards being food sufficient and selling their surplus on the market. myAgro was incubated by One Acre Fund, an award-winning organization in Kenya. myAgro has received multiple awards in recognition of our innovative mobile savings model including competitive fellowships from Rainer Arnhold, Echoing Green and Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation. Learn more at www.myagro.org.
We’re looking to fill this senior position with someone dynamic, mission-oriented and ready to help us scale quickly in the next 5 years. The position can be based in the US or in Senegal with travel to/within West Africa on a regular basis (25 – 40% of the year).
- Lead development of financial budgets, cash flows and required reporting
- Lead development of long-term financial planning and risk management strategies
- Provide thought-leadership around business strategies and key operational discussions based on a thorough understanding of our budget and financial outlook.
- Responsible for ensuring books are closed on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and for completing relevant reports and analysis.
- Manage a growing finance team in Mali and hire/develop a team in Senegal
- Develop and train staff on our internal financial policies; improve policies as needed after implementation
- Develop a financial model for potential partnerships.
- 100% head-over-heels in love with our mission and model. Believes that ending rural poverty is possible and incredibly important.
- Oral and written fluency in French and English. Please do not apply if you do not speak French at the time of application.
- 2-5+ years of work experience in a related job (financial management, investment banking, management consulting, etc.)
- BA in related field (finance, management, accounting, etc.), MBA preferred
- Proficient in Excel and financial modeling; Quickbooks experience a plus
- Willing to travel and live in rural settings
- Ability to work independently and move projects forward despite unforeseen hurdles
- As with any start up, we’ll have the usual amount of chaos/confusion/stress and lessons “learned along the way” so flexibility, a sense of humor and an open mind will make life and work less stressful for all of us.
- Working for a fun, young start up!
- Compensation is very modest, but will grow according to performance.
- Flights to West Africa, housing and travel insurance are included.
- Language lesson stipends
- Additional benefits will be added as we grow.
- Please upload your CV and letter of interest.
- Start date is flexible although we’d prefer to have someone as soon as possible.