Software Engineer at The Minerva Project in San Francisco, CA
About The Minerva Project
The Minerva Project, headquartered in San Francisco, is launching a top-tier university built to accelerate the life trajectories of the world’s brightest and most motivated students. Opening in Fall 2015, Minerva will draw on the best traditions of a research-based university education while leveraging cutting edge technologies and harvesting decades of research on student learning and success. Minerva is committed to providing an unparalleled educational experience for preparing global leaders and innovators for the 21st century.
Build the University of the Future
- You need to be comfortable working with (and learning!) a variety of new languages and technologies. You don't instinctively turn up your nose at OPC (Other People's Code), or feel the need to start from scratch for every new project. We have a huge amount to do, so we want to be able to leverage great open source projects into our system, even if they're not written in our one favorite language. Help us figure out the right open source projects to build on, and help us turn them into exactly what we need.
- We're a fast-moving startup, but we're looking to create a long-lasting company around a continuously evolving learning platform. We need to be able to develop our system in a way to support continuous change over time: modular design, well-factored code, sufficient automated testing, processes in place for measuring performance. You need to be able to help us do this.
- We're not launching tomorrow, so we have the benefit of building on and for tomorrow's technologies. Forget flash, we'll be doing awesome things with HTML5 video. Your experience working with emerging technologies and standards will be useful on a day-to-day basis.
- Your code can speak for itself. It's so well-written that it requires no explanation. But when we do discuss it, you can make a clear and compelling case for why you wrote it the way you did. If we identify a more efficient to approach the problem, you're willing to revisit the decision and learn from the experience.
- You invest in tools and automation. Whether you are a frontend engineer focusing on better testing or a systems engineer putting into place better monitoring, you make sure the team has a great toolset to allow us to scale big with a small team.
Strong CS background and/or proven engineering track record
Enjoy working top to bottom of technical stack - HTML, CSS, JS, server side languages, SQL. You can do single page web apps and service oriented architecture.
“Elegance” and “well-designed” are used to describe the code you write.
Peers consider you one of the best engineers they’ve ever worked with.
You come to work to solve hard technical challenges. Constant learning and experimentation.
Video experience is a plus.
- You have worked on a live service and kept it up and running.
- Agile and test-driven development methodologies.