Full Stack Web Engineer at Minerva in San Francisco, CA
About The Minerva Project
Build the University of the Future
Come help us train 21st century leaders and creators. Come use your skills to build the next great American institution of higher learning. We're not building courseware, we're building a university. This is a huge goal, and requires hugely talented people to help get us there.
- You need to be comfortable working with (and learning!) a variety of new languages and technologies. You don't instinctively turn up your nose at OPC (Other People's Code), or feel the need to start from scratch for every new project. We have a huge amount to do, so we want to be able to leverage great open source projects into our system, even if they're not written in our one favorite language. Help us figure out the right open source projects to build on, and help us turn them into exactly what we need.
- We're a fast-moving startup, but we're looking to create a long-lasting company around a continuously evolving learning platform. We need to be able to develop our system in a way to support continuous change over time: modular design, well-factored code, sufficient automated testing, processes in place for measuring performance. You need to be able to help us do this.
- We're not launching tomorrow, so we have the benefit of building on and for tomorrow's technologies. Forget flash, we'll be doing awesome things with HTML5 video and WebRTC. Your experience working with emerging technologies and standards will be useful on a day-to-day basis.
- Your code can speak for itself. It's so well-written that it requires no explanation. But when we do discuss it, you can make a clear and compelling case for why you wrote it the way you did. If we identify a more efficient to approach the problem, you're willing to revisit the decision and learn from the experience.
- You invest in tools and automation. Whether you are a frontend engineer focusing on better testing or a systems engineer putting into place better monitoring, you make sure the team has a great toolset to allow us to scale big with a small team.
- Massive individual contributor. You love to code.
- Can scale top to bottom - UI to AWS. Full-stack web development, from the database and API layers to client-side code. Our current stack relies on Clojure, Python, Postgres, and Backbone/Marionette. All of our code lives in Git.
- Can navigate between shipping sooner and long term code cleanliness.
- Understand how to build single page web apps and service oriented architectures.
- Know your data structures and algorithms.
- Obsessed with performance.
- Deep knowledge of infrastructure and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit great engineers.
- Eye for good product design.
- Proven ability to manage operations of a live website on AWS, Rackspace or other.