Lead Developer at Madefire in Berkeley, CA
Since the earliest cave paintings, stories have been told visually. With the advent of tablets, there's an opportunity to bring visual storytelling to a new level and evolve a new grammar for words and pictures. Madefire is building the tools to allow artists and writers to tell their stories in ways never seen before. We're at the start of our journey, but we already have a potent set of ingredients. Our founding team is a mix of art, design and technology. We're funded by True Ventures, the inspired team behind behind Wordpress, and we're thrilled to be launching with a completely new storyworld from Dave Gibbons, co-creator of Watchmen, the best selling graphic novel of all time.
Madefire is based in Berkeley, and we're looking for the best technical talent to work along side the founders and some of the world's best creators to make this the next chapter for storytelling.
We are looking for a Python / Django developer to build our next-generation backend, content delivery, and billing architecture. We have an existing backend infrastructure in place that we will be migrating to Python / Django.
Here are the technical characteristics of the person we're looking for:
- Good with best practices for security
- Experience with high-reliability web services
- Experience with delivering scalable content delivery
- Deep in Python
- Deep in Django
- High competence with C# or Java
- High competence with LAMP, .NET, Rails, or similar framework
- Experience integrating with CDNs
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with SaaS billing / providers
- Database architecture
- Experience with building products as platforms
- Degree in CS, MS preferred
- Setup and administration of SVN or equivalent
- Experience with email gateway integrations
- Video encoding expertise
- Image processing expertise
- Experience optimizing bandwidth vs. fidelity (audio and visual)
Here are the temperamental characteristics of the person we're looking for:
- Love of the startup lifestyle
- Passion for the arts (preferably a practitioner of art, music, drama, or literature)
- Ability to GSD
- Healthy balance of strong opinions while keeping dogma in check
- Platform agnosticism (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Flash, HTML5; it's all good)
- Tolerance for ambiguity
- Willingness to do it "ugly" whenever necessary
- Obsession with doing it "right" whenever possible
- Ability to start
- Ability to finish
- Elevate co-workers (i.e. not a ball-hog)
- Enjoy being in the office, but be able to be productive from home
We offer competitive salary & benefits. We already have a great work environment, and look forward to shaping it further as we bring in the members of the core team.
To be continued...