Game Designer at Machine Zone in Palo Alto, CA
The Game Designer is a crucial piece of the Game Design team at Machine Zone and will report into our Lead Game Designer as well as collaborate with our Director of Development. You should be experienced in mobile game design, have knowledge of MMOs and virtual-goods based business models, and have strong monetization intuition and understanding. You will be responsible for guiding the design of new social mobile games from genesis to launch with post-release monitoring and analysis. Your designs will be felt and experienced by tens of millions of global players in the future; this is your chance to leave your legacy and be part of gaming history!
- Guide the design of new social, mobile games from genesis to release
- Synthesize Theme, Game Mechanics, Monetization, and Social Features into an integrated product
- Foster creative and scalable design solutions
- Post-release, you will need to monitor the game closely. This includes analyzing gameplay data, responding to consumer feedback, and observing game market trends
- Work collaboratively with Producers and Cross-Functional teams to facilitate organizing and project planning, including estimating, scheduling, resourcing, and workflow management within the Studio Design Team
- Support the creative vision of our CEO and, in turn, the lead designers, to ensure that the efforts of the Design Team are consistent with that vision
- Represent Design production in studio management strategic planning, scheduling, and budgeting
- Provide guidance to the Executive Producer/Director of Product Management to ensure that the needs of the Design Team are being met
- Initiate research and implementation of new techniques and processes to improve quality and cost-effectiveness of design production
- Proven experience and success designing mobile-based online and social games
- Have solid MMO experience and success with games based on a virtual-goods business model with deep monetization intuition and understanding
- Experience and success with social gaming feature-sets
- The creativity to guide the genesis of a new game (with collaborative input/vision)
- Strong analytical abilities and the ability to synthesize game-play data to improve the game as necessary
- Product Management skills to track the results of the game and make improvements
- Pride in creating a high-quality, addictive consumer experience
- A love of startups and a desire to be part of a small team that achieves its vision quickly
- An ability to embrace an environment that changes constantly - where good ideas triumph quickly
- Understanding of complex systems and a technical background a plus
- PEOPLE SKILLS: Experience with all aspects of game design disciplines: concept, level progression, camera, combat, AI/scripting, interface, sound, monetization, and playability testing
- PROCESS: Must have a solid understanding of how all aspects of design production work and how best to accomplish each task
- TECHNICAL: Must be proficient with organizational software: scheduling (Microsoft Project), word processing (Microsoft Word), budgeting (Microsoft Excel). Should have a fundamental understanding of social games and what monetizes most effectively
- PLANNING/IMPLEMENTATION: Must be extremely organized in the game design workflow from initial concept to final release and post-release support
- INDUSTRY: Must have several years' experience in game production and supervision/management experience. Should have supervised a design team on at least one "AAA" commercially released game on iOS and/or Android
Refer a Friend:
We rely on your referrals for our success, and to show our appreciation, Machine Zone offers a Referral Bonus Program. If you refer someone to us for a full-time position and we hire them, you will receive a $1000 referral bonus after 90 days of successful employment. Certain rules, restrictions, and eligibility requirements apply. To make a referral or to learn more about the Referral Bonus Program, please contact us at referral<at>machinezone.com.
Top Reasons to Join Us:
- Be part of the most innovative mobile gaming company with phenomenal growth opportunities
- Competitive compensation package, bonus initiative plans, 401K, full health benefits, ST/LT insurance and unlimited vacation
- Located in downtown Palo Alto near all the restaurants, bars, and cafes
- Food, snacks, drinks, and lunches/dinners with founders
- Monthly events (offsite mixers, game nights, ice cream socials, etc.), group lunches, holiday party, ping pong table, video games… and more!
Based in Palo Alto, Calif., Machine Zone, Inc. (formerly known as Addmired, Inc.) is focused on creating the most engaging free-to-play mobile social games in the world. Launched in 2008 with Y Combinator, Machine Zone has seen explosive annual growth with its highly successful free-to-play games, including Game of War: Fire Age, iMob 2, Original Gangstaz, Global War, Race or Die 2, among others. To date, the company has well over 40 million downloads of their iPhone games and is the recipient of the 2010 Crunchies Award (Techcrunch) for Best Bootstrapped Startup. Machine Zone operates profitably and has raised two rounds of funding from Anthos Capital, Baseline Ventures and Menlo Ventures.
We are a unique, highly talented and ambitious team of free-to-play game experts and rock-star engineers, all focused on building highly engaging mobile experiences for our gamers. We continue to expand our teams and look for top talent around the world to build not only the most exciting technical and social projects in mobile gaming, but to help create the best gaming company. Come and be part of the revolution!
Machine Zone does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website, employees or Human Resources. Machine Zone will not pay fees for unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Machine Zone and will be processed accordingly without fee.