Corporate Controller at Machine Zone in Palo Alto, CA
The Corporate Controller is an integral piece of the G&A team at Machine Zone and will report into our VP of Finance & Administration and collaborate with the Executive Team. You should have a CPA designation, be well-versed in technical accounting and US GAAP, have international consolidation experience, and understand ERP systems implementation. You will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations, month-end close, annual audit, revenue recognition, and ad-hoc projects such as ERP implementation and tax planning. This is a hands-on position requiring a broad knowledge of accounting and finance to create policies and procedures that keep pace with the growth of the company.
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day accounting, including supervision of accountant(s)
- Direct and manage timely and accurate execution of monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting close, including potential consolidation of subsidiaries both domestic and international
- Act as the primary liaison to external Big 4 audit firm and manage an efficient annual audit process
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures in accordance to the size and stage of the company to streamline operations and create necessary controls
- Responsible for the improvement and maintenance of revenue recognition schedule and analysis
- Update and improve revenue recognition policy in accordance to US GAAP, including periodic assumption fine-tuning leading to periodic revenue recognition true-ups
- Collaborate with business intelligence team to generate reports, data sets and analyses to support revenue recognition policy assumptions
- Plan, execute and manage an ERP system migration to a mid-tier accounting system
- Assist in the development, improvement and maintenance of weekly and monthly management reports and metrics to track and analyze business health
- Develop, maintain and ensure technical accounting policy, procedures and internal controls are updated, in auditable form, and in accordance with US GAAP
- Adopt and implement a stock option expensing software
- Responsible for calculating FAS 123R expenses on a quarterly basis
- Lead tax planning and IP migration efforts including all necessary filings
- Support M&A processes and due diligence as needed
- Partner with marketing, engineering, HR and IT teams to build scalable processes and drive best practices
- Actively participate in forecasting processes for P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash flow
- Assist with review and assessment of vendor and partnership contracts
- Other duties and ad-hoc projects as needed
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an accounting emphasis
- CPA certification is required (active status a major plus)
- 8+ years of increasing responsibility in the accounting role
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS
- Proven experience working with Big 4 audit firms
- Firm grasp of ERP systems and familiarity with NetSuite a plus
- Must have experience in working with complex accounting issues, such as software revenue recognition in gaming, tax accounting, foreign currency transactions, intercompany transactions, valuation of business combinations and goodwill impairment testing
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and independent with a strong work ethic
- Gaming industry experience (a major plus)
Refer a Friend:
We rely on your referrals for our success, and to show our appreciation, Machine Zone offers a Referral Bonus Program. If you refer someone to us for a full-time position and we hire them, you will receive a $1000 referral bonus after 90 days of successful employment. Certain rules, restrictions, and eligibility requirements apply. To make a referral or to learn more about the Referral Bonus Program, please contact us at referral<at>machinezone.com.
Top Reasons to Join Us:
- Be part of the most innovative mobile gaming company with phenomenal growth opportunities
- Competitive compensation package, bonus initiative plans, 401K, full health benefits, ST/LT insurance and unlimited vacation
- Located in downtown Palo Alto near all the restaurants, bars, and cafes
- Food, snacks, drinks, and lunches/dinners with founders
- Monthly events (offsite mixers, game nights, ice cream socials, etc.), group lunches, holiday party, ping pong table, video games… and more!
Based in Palo Alto, Calif., Machine Zone, Inc. (formerly known as Addmired, Inc.) is focused on creating the most engaging free-to-play mobile social games in the world. Launched in 2008 with Y Combinator, Machine Zone has seen explosive annual growth with its highly successful free-to-play games, including Game of War: Fire Age, iMob 2, Original Gangstaz, Global War, Race or Die 2, among others. To date, the company has well over 40 million downloads of their iPhone games and is the recipient of the 2010 Crunchies Award (Techcrunch) for Best Bootstrapped Startup. Machine Zone operates profitably and has raised two rounds of funding from Anthos Capital, Baseline Ventures and Menlo Ventures.
We are a unique, highly talented and ambitious team of free-to-play game experts and rock-star engineers, all focused on building highly engaging mobile experiences for our gamers. We continue to expand our teams and look for top talent around the world to build not only the most exciting technical and social projects in mobile gaming, but to help create the best gaming company. Come and be part of the revolution!
Machine Zone does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website, employees or Human Resources. Machine Zone will not pay fees for unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Machine Zone and will be processed accordingly without fee.