Art Director at Machine Zone in Palo Alto, CA
The Art Director is an integral piece of the leadership team at Machine Zone and will collaborate closely with our Co-Founder and Creative Director. You should have great management skills, impeccable artistic taste, obsession with quality, and possess the ability to organize, drive, and inspire the art team to produce their greatest work. You will be responsible for both the active and the passive art for Machine Zone’s games that will be seen by tens of millions of global players in the future; this is your chance to leave your legacy!
- Instrumental in establishing Machine Zone’s artistic visions for games that will be seen and played by a massive number of players
- Organize, drive, and manage the art team by maintaining and evolving efficient processes to achieve a high level of productivity
- Work with the art team and collaborate with the game design, engineering, and leadership teams to produce the best-adapted look and quality for each title
- Collaborate with game design in all design phases including concept inception, game systems & mechanics definition, theme, visual design, and game flow
- Evaluate the need for internal vs. external art resources; build the proper infrastructure to allow for a synergetic mix of full-time artists, contract artists, and outsourced art houses
- Inspire and guide a team of artists to creative excellence as both a mentor and a contributor
- Foster cross-functional teamwork between artists and engineers, game designers, and the leadership team to create an environment conducive to idea exchange and mutual support
- Assure that the highest level of creative standards are met; define what the “Machine Zone” art represents
- 5-10 years of experience in managing art teams
- Knowledge of game art design with hands-on experience creating game art concepts, documentation, systems & mechanics, etc.
- Experience in multi-player social games, RPG, MMO and/or online games
- Experience with process and workflow implementation and working with both internal and external art teams
- Extensive experience in the planning, production, and development of 2D and 3D games
- Passion and obsession for artistic quality in every product you ship
- Fearless and creative in solving problems
- Great written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Industrial Design or related area preferred
Refer a Friend:
We rely on your referrals for our success, and to show our appreciation, Machine Zone offers a Referral Bonus Program. If you refer someone to us for a full-time position and we hire them, you will receive a $1000 referral bonus after 90 days of successful employment. Certain rules, restrictions, and eligibility requirements apply. To make a referral or to learn more about the Referral Bonus Program, please contact us at referral<at>machinezone.com.
Top Reasons to Join Us:
- Be part of the most innovative mobile gaming company with phenomenal growth opportunities
- Competitive compensation package, bonus initiative plans, 401K, full health benefits, ST/LT insurance and unlimited vacation
- Located in downtown Palo Alto near all the restaurants, bars, and cafes
- Food, snacks, drinks, and lunches/dinners with founders
- Monthly events (offsite mixers, game nights, ice cream socials, etc.), group lunches, holiday party, ping pong table, video games… and more!
Based in Palo Alto, Calif., Machine Zone, Inc. (formerly Addmired) is focused on creating the most engaging free-to-play mobile social games in the world. Launched in 2008 with Y Combinator, Machine Zone has seen explosive annual growth with its highly successful free-to-play games, including iMob, Original Gangstaz, Global War, iMob 2, Race or Die 2, among others. To date, the company has well over 40 million downloads of their iPhone games. The company operates profitably and has raised two rounds of funding from Anthos Capital, Baseline Ventures and Menlo Ventures.
Winner of the Crunchies Award (Techcrunch), we are a unique, highly talented and ambitious team of free-to-play game experts and rock-star engineers, all focused on building highly engaging mobile experiences for its gamers. We continue to expand our teams and look for top talent around the world to build not only the most exciting technical and social projects in mobile gaming, but to help create the best gaming company. Come and be part of the revolution!
Machine Zone does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website, employees or Human Resources. Machine Zone will not pay fees for unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Machine Zone and will be processed accordingly without fee.