UX & Visual Web Designer at isocket in Burlingame, CA
Think advertising tech isn’t sexy? Well for the most part, it isn’t…
But that’s why isocket was founded and why we’re kicking butt. The giant online ad industry - and all the real breathing humans that live in it every day - are tired of old, ugly, sucky products. Some of the largest legacy products still require people to log in through Internet Explorer. Not kidding.
We believe in beautiful products that just work.
Not just visually, but also in functionality, service and experience. Not only is great design a proper thing to do for any web product, but in the ad world it also presents a major opportunity for us to succeed through design because everything else is so bad / people are ready for the "consumerisation of the enterprise" in ad tech.
We think we’ve done a pretty good job so far, but isocket's small team doesn't have anyone just focused on design / IxD. Now that we've gone to market, have proper funding, and are accelerating, we need...
The job: isocket's small, passionate team needs a stellar web designer to live and breath our product experience!
You can show the world it’s possible for exceptional products to exist in the multibillion dollar advertising industry.
You can prove to thousands of real people (like our customers over at TechCrunch and Mashable) that they don’t have to sacrifice acceptable web app standards between 9am-5pm. Think these users are stuffy agency Mad Men types drinking martinis? Wrong. They are the bloggers writing at nights about their experiences as a new mommy, or the journalist covering hot new startups. They are the advertisers who just want to promote their new iPhone app in hopes of making it big. They are Presidential candidates running for office.
We’re making it easier than ever for them to buy and sell advertising. Our product, features, business model, and service are all design to please our customers. We’re growing like a weed and can share tons of customer feedback with you. A taste…
From a VP at a major ad agency: “This business is in love with complexity for complexity’s sake. You’re different and I love it! You cut to the core of the problems and solved them. You’re like the Apple of advertising.”
(Apple!? Very humbled by the thought and we aspire to it, but like Wayne and Garth in Wayne's World... "we're not worthy!")
What we'll be looking for
- Demonstrable success building superb web apps. If you can't show us work that wows us, then it's not a fit.
- Experience outside of pure consumer products. Have you designed something that provided real utility to a paying customer? Did you turn the boring into amazing?
- You love the startup lifestyle – both the great parts and the challenging parts. This is not a freelance gig or 4-day work week. We are here to win and do whatever it takes to do so. We take design seriously and so should you.
- A feel for product. It’s not enough to make pretty pixels – do your pixels make sense and do people like using them?
- You like working with somewhat quirky but exceptionally fun and bright people.
- We feel that if web design is your craft, you should know your way around HTML & CSS. Ideally, you have the ability to go beyond static visuals and can demonstrate ideas through interaction. You understand the code part of software well enough to know what's feasible.
What we offer
- A meaningful opportunity. You will be designing products that make people's lives easier in an industry stifled by tech from the last millenium.
- Latitude and room to create. Design by committee doesn't work and we respect the role and talent of designers who deserve it.
- Competitive startup pay and above average stock options. 100% coverage of medical, dental, and vision. Honor system vacation policy.
- All the fancy gadgets, food, and creative workspace to help you kick butt.
- You'll work directly with the Founder/CEO (himself a former engineer and designer) and the rest of the company to craft our web products.
This role is full time and in person at our Burlingame, CA Headquarters, where all product development lies. Located just 30 yards from the Burlingame Caltrain station and downtown Burlingame, it's a perfect location for anyone in the bay area. Free parking on our roof. 30 foot ceilings, great windows and light, etc make for a cool place to work.
New York City is our east coast HQ and primarily focused on sales, marketing, and account management. If you're an exceptional person in NYC, we'd be open to it. Or we can help you relocate.
isocket is one of the hottest and best funded early stage startups in online ad tech. We're backed by Foundry Group, the firm behind Admeld (programmatic buying for Class 2) sold to Google in 2011, Triggit, Medialets, etc. Other investors include SoftTech, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Quest VP, David Cohen of TechStars, Blumberg Capital, and more!
Our small team of 15 is made up of industry veterans and VIPs from groups like Admeld, Rubicon Project, Google, Yahoo, and more.