VP Engineering at isocket in San Francisco, CA
isocket makes advertising technology suck less.
isocket builds web apps and the underlying pipes & platforms to make online ad sales easier. 70% of the money in online advertising is still bought and sold by hand, over cocktails, and through email and fax machines. Almost all of the technology and ad companies you've heard of deal with remnant "Class 2" ads - the equivalent of teeth whitening ads you see on the last page of a magazine.
Our underlying platform was the world's first to power the programmatic buying and selling of "Class 1" ad inventory by connecting APIs from advertisers software (DSPs, etc) through to publishers software (ad servers like DFP, etc.) isocket also powers self-serve advertising for some of the web's best sites in our open marketplace, www.buyads.com.
So here's the deal:
- With a very small team and little resources, isocket has millions in revenue, already released truly game changing innovations (like the worlds first Class 1 ad buying API), and won customers like AOL, Google, Salesforce, Adobe, Sitepoint, and thousands more.
- isocket is (humbly) considered the thought leader in our space because we correctly skated to where the puck was going to be before anyone else even knew they were playing hockey.
- Now that the market has caught up (everyone wants to play hockey), we're already the category leader. The last 6 months have been very exciting. But there is still a lot of mountain left to climb before we reach the summit.
- To support this inflection point, isocket just raised a Series A round of funding from one of the best ad tech investors in the world. We're doubling the size of our team and going to lock in our leadership position over the next 12-18 months.
Our small-but-fantastic team wants a dedicated leader.
You're an amazing engineering leader who believes in the qualitative elements just as much as the code you build. You're not a "manager", you lead other engineers while still being a respected engineer who ships code. You recognize that how you direct the growth, organization, proccess, and culture of a product development team can make the difference between company success and failure.
Put simply: we want to be known in our industry (which is historically light on product development prowess) as the best group of well-oiled technologists around.
In the past, a lot of ad tech companies have won by piling sales people on top of poor or limited products. Our opportunity is the opposite - we will win through product, and you will help make that happen.
If you've never shipped code in faster than two week release cycles or you've never worked in a <50 person software company, we kindly ask you consider our other engineering positions. =)
This is a unique opportunity for an exceptional person. You can slide into a warmed up kick-ass team with an MVP "v1.0" validated product already being used by customers. But things are still young with a ton of product building and team/process building left to do (until now it's been a hand full of folks just cranking away).
Success in this role means:
You will report to and work very closely with the Founder/CEO of the company (himself a former engineer / designer / PM) as part of the senior leadership. You're responsible for understanding the needs of the rest of the business and executing on it within product development, and vice versa communicating back to the rest of the org. You'll help craft strategy and roadmap, help scale our team and org as the company grows, and above all else make sure we have the best product in our industry delivered on time and as expected.
We believe (and so should you)
- High hiring standards. The right team of excellent engineers with the right culture and process make an excellent company.
- Ship fast, ship often.
- Software is never perfect (but should aspire to be).
- The solution to a problem can often be done more simply / with less than what most people assume.
- Communication and coordination is key. Well-oiled machines can make magic.
- Engineers and designers deserve credit and honor within a company.
- "Managing" engineers means earning respect and leading by example, mentorship, and perspective.
- Your job is to teach others how to make the right decisions and to hold them accountable when they don't.
- Experience building advertising oriented and/or platform based products.
- Previously lead engineers and delivered verifiable results. This doesn't have to be management, but you need to have lead something before. If you've never been responsible for the performance of another engineer, this isn't the right role for you.
- Have worked at a startup or similarly agile company. Venture-backed preferred.
- Relevant experience ( >6 years ) with building web based products.
- Well rounded technology experience, including web development and deeper level APIs and platforms.
- Experience with various development methodoligies with an educated opinion on how product teams should function, with the ability to learn and tweak (process should be just like product in that regard.)
- Experience working closely with or managing product designers and product managers.
- You’ve been an entrepreneur. Did it succeed? Great. Did it fail? That’s OK too.
- Active in the community – real life, open source, etc.
What We Offer
Working at a growing technology startup is a unique choice, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. It can be very challenging, but comes with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn it. What we bring to the table is just as important as what you bring:
- We know everyone says it, but at isocket you will absolutely make a difference. Our company is a handful of people, and we’ll remain a small but powerful team.
- Challenging problems to solve, so we can solve meaningful problems for the market.
- The room and tools you need to create and succeed.
- The chance to work on truly game-changing products.
- You’re getting in on the ground floor of an already growing project.
- Be a part of the team many consider to already be the best early stage team in the industry.
- You will learn something and grow every day - from deep experience in a growing, VC-backed startup to friends and connections that will last. Learn from some of the best people in the business.
- Competitive or better stock options and benefits, including full health coverage, dental and vision.
Burlingame, CA is our Headquarters and where all product development lies. Located just 30 yards from the Burlingame Caltrain station and downtown Burlingame, it's a perfect location for anyone in the bay area. Free parking on our roof. 30 foot ceilings, great windows and light, etc make for a cool place to work.
New York City is our east coast HQ and primarily focused on sales, marketing, and account management.
We're human. Please don't throw a blind resume at us. Include a short cover letter letting us know what you're looking for, and why us. Please also include:
- Something you've learned about hiring top people.
- What out-of-style or deprecated coding language you wish was still in practice.