Systems Engineer at Hobsons in Arlington, VA
Hobsons helps educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 7,500 schools, colleges, and universities worldwide.
The Systems Engineer provides technical administration and oversight for infrastructure related to internal operations for Hobsons. The selected candidate will be able to balance the technical infrastructure with the needs of the business. The successful candidate will have strong experience in network and systems engineering, a willingness to embrace the department’s core principles of focusing on the global business, implementing solutions based on open standards, and supporting a cross platform organization.
- Proactively manage a multi-country server infrastructure, ensuring uptime and reliability
- Act as lead administrator for corporate Active Directory Services, VMware and Linux environments.
- Ability to lead infrastructure projects
- Maintain the organization’s disaster recovery/business continuity plans in coordination with the business units and changing needs
- Create, manage and update all infrastructure related documents including, but not limited to, technical diagrams and knowledge base articles
- Monitor and respond to trouble reports, troubleshoot problems and provide feedback regarding service impacting events
- Regularly monitor and report on technical infrastructure security
- Provide feedback to Senior IT leadership on suggestions for process improvements, hardware/OS replacement and lifecycle status on all infrastructure related equipment
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of an acceptable qualification for this position is:
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent experience
- 5 - 7 years’ experience administrating a multi-site, technical network and systems infrastructure
- Extensive experience with Windows, Linux and VMware
- Working knowledge of Cisco network design and best practices
- Extensive experience with network physical and logical security
- Expert knowledge of Linux and Windows server environments
- Expert knowledge of virtualized server and desktop environments; VMware experience preferred
- Working knowledge of Cisco networking environments
- Ability to communicate difficult/sensitive information to various levels of the organization
- Experience with Storage Area Networking preferable
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Research new technologies and translate the implications to business benefits
- Excellent communications skills
- Provide 24/7 on call coverage as needed
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
We are a hard-working, fun-loving office, and we’re looking for the right fit—someone with great communication skills and a solid work ethic who picks up skills quickly.
Hobsons offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
· Health Insurance
· Life and Disability Insurance
· Dental Plan
· 401K Plan
· Section 125/Flexible Spending Accounts
· Generous Holiday and Vacation Schedule
To learn more about Hobsons, please visit our corporate Web site at
EEO / M / F / D / V