Software Engineer at Hobsons in Arlington, VA
Hobsons helps educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 7,500 schools, colleges, and universities worldwide.
Want to make a difference in the life of a student?
Are you passionate about the latest web technology trends?
Do you constantly look for ways to develop something better?
Hobsons is seeking a talented and energetic Software Engineer to join our growing Product Development team in our Arlington, VA office. The Software Engineer at Hobsons will be involved in significant development projects for our market-leading K-12 SaaS application, which is built on an open source LAMP architecture. We are seeking candidates that have strong development experience and who are passionate about the latest industry trends and innovations occurring in web based products.
- Design and develop software components using PHP and MySQL
- Collaborate with other team members to incorporate best practices and innovations into our products
- Leverage team development standards, patterns and design principles in daily activities
- Collaborate closely with product managers, user experience, and QA during discovery, design and development
- Stay current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate our products in the education space
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required
- Extensive development experience using PHP, MySQL, HTML, and CSS Solid understanding of Object Oriented and MVC Programming patterns
- Experience with Zend or similar framework (Symfony, CakePHP, Kohana)
- Experience developing enterprise web applications
- Experience writing and executing unit test scripts
- Experience using version control such as Subversion or GIT
- Very strong technical competence and background delivering projects on time
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to shifting project requirements
- Comprehension and focus on cross-browser compatibility
- JQuery experience is a plus
- Agile scrum experience is a plus
- Java experience is a plus
All candidates will be required to complete a code challenge.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
We are a hard-working, fun-loving office, and we’re looking for the right fit—someone with great communication skills and a solid work ethic who picks up skills quickly.
Hobsons offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Life & Disability Insurance
- Dental Plan
- 401K Plan
- Metro SmartBenefits (Pre-Tax Option)
- Generous Paid Time Off Program
We have a corporate commitment to education and actively participate in charity work to support schools locally and abroad. Through our work with PLAN (www.planusa.org), our staff joins in an annual campaign to improve education in developing nations. In the past three years, groups of employees from Hobsons have traveled to Ghana, Bolivia, and Vietnam to build educational facilities.
To learn more about Hobsons, please visit our corporate Web site at
EEO / M / F / D / V