Senior Technical Support Engineer at Hobsons in Cincinnati, OH
Hobsons helps educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 7,500 schools, colleges, and universities worldwide.
Senior Technical Support Engineer
The primary purpose of the Senior Technical Support Engineer is to provide Level 2 support for the Higher Education suite of applications and sites. They will need to possess a deep knowledge of the entire Higher Education product suite, including all product features, upcoming product releases, known issues, and workarounds. They will also be responsible for monitoring the performance and health of production systems and take immediate corrective action based on alerts.
This position is based remotely from a home office; however will require occasional travel to either the Cincinnati, OH or Arlington, VA office. Candidate must be able to work a variety of shifts to support Global 24/7/365 staffing.
- Must be able to proactively solve problems that are escalated to Level 2 from internal Level 1 support teams
- Must be able to assist in the creation of toolsets for the Support teams. This includes the ability to interact with existing toolsets on a daily basis for solving client problems, expediting tasks, and reconciling gaps between products. Must also be able to present ideas and develop solutions for the automation of any new one-off daily tasks. This requires someone with a programming background
- Ability to handle a multitude of support-related tasks on a daily basis and prioritize them accordingly, communicating expectations to the appropriate parties
- Ability to interact with multiple departments / teams to resolve problems
- Perform a deep analysis of problems / issues and document them in a detailed format so that they are easily reproducible and resolved
- Generate customized reports on querying client databases
- Help produce documentation for internal best practices
- Ability to work a variety of shifts to support Global 24/7/365 staffing
Oracle/SQL Server/MySQL SQL knowledge—ability to analyze existing database tables and perform “under the cover” type SQL work that the product suite may currently lack
Programming—(.Net/Java/PHP) ability to assist in the creation of standalone or web-based applications that can be used to automate repeated support tasks or provide tools to Level 1 support to solve their own issues. An added plus would be the ability to debug .Net/Java code to help uncover workarounds for core product issues.
Web / Application Server Administration / Monitoring—(IIS / Apache / Tomcat) ability to assist in the monitoring of web and application servers for product suite and perform various low-impact administrative tasks.
Experience with automation tools a plus.
Ability to create and edit written materials.
Knowledge of product support principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to higher education a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in MIS, computer science, engineering, or related field
- 3–5 years’ professional experience in software development and / or supporting web-based software applications
- Technical field expertise solving multiple customer issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including proficiency as a writer, strong listening skills, and being an articulate speaker
- Consultative and advisory skills
- Strong organizational skills
Hobsons offers a competitive base salary and performance-based compensation plan, along with an excellent benefits package including:
· Health Insurance
· Life and Disability Insurance
· Dental Plan
· 401K Plan
· Section 125/Flexible Spending Accounts
· Generous Holiday and Vacation Schedule
To learn more about Hobsons, please visit our corporate Web site at www.hobsons.com.
EEO / M / F / D / V