Senior MySQL Database Administrator at Hobsons in Cincinnati, OH
Hobsons helps educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 7,500 schools, colleges, and universities worldwide.
Senior MySQL Database Administrator
Join the Hobsons Higher Education Division Data Management team and work with a group of seasoned database professionals to support our expanding infrastructure and client base. As a Senior Database Administrator you will be is responsible for successfully administering and maintaining our large and growing database systems environment. You will work closely with other Data Management team members and Engineering staff including members of the Systems Architecture, Operations and Release and Performance Management teams. Finally you will work with other Higher Education teams and individuals in both technical (Product Development, Software Development and Quality Assurance) as well as non-technical (Pre-Sales, Sales and Account Management) areas of our division to support our products and clients.
- 24x7 support for databases to ensure the highest standards of availability, resilience, integrity, security and performance required by our business systems
- Occasional off-shift availability to resolve production issues or assist in production deployments. On-call duties to be shared with DBA team
- 70% database administration / 30% design and development. Includes defining, creating, organizing and maintaining both logical and physical database changes
- Install and maintain database software including upgrades and patches
- Manage and maintain database and data security including defining users, user roles / role privileges, as well as defining, executing and maintaining effective backup/recovery and disaster plans
- Monitor, tune and report on the performance of both the databases and OS platforms
- Work with both the development and quality-assurance teams to support and assist in the development, testing and tuning of database application including but not limited to architecture, design and tuning.
- Work with the release and performance management team to analyze, diagnose and remediate database-related issues
- Write scripts (operating system & database levels) to automate repetitive or complex tasks
- Design, develop and maintain appropriate levels of documentation for the database environment as well as database or system processes and procedures
- Present or make recommendations on best practices regarding data management, data architecture, data design and security
- Meticulous attention to detail with an appreciation for the relationship between database/system reliability and company success
All levels of management
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of an acceptable qualification for this position is:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a technical major such as engineering or computer science
- 6+ years’ experience working with MySQL with at least 3 years administering a production environment including deploying and managing MySQL clusters and replication
- Experience in both database and system performance tuning and optimization using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Strong technical and troubleshooting experience with Linux (primarily CentOS) operating systems
- Knowledge of high-availability and disaster recovery options including backups/restores, clustering, log shipping and replication
- Extensive understanding of SQL and writing stored procedures
- Experience working with cloud environments, primarily Amazon
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Experience with the following is not required but candidates having particular skills in the following areas will receive special consideration.
- Experience with other database platforms including (but not limited to) Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and Cassandra
- Application/Internet Servers: JBoss, Apache
- Scripting Languages: Bash, Perl and Python, etc.
- Backup Tools: Symantec Netbackup, Zmanda
- Performance & System Monitoring Tools: PerfMon, Zenoss, Splunk
- Administration Tools: MySQL Admin, Toad for MySQL
- Deployment Tools: Jenkins, Microsoft SCCM, GIT
- Network Storage Systems: EMC, Dell EqualLogic
Hobsons offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
· Health Insurance
· Life and Disability Insurance
· Dental Plan
· 401K Plan
· Section 125/Flexible Spending Accounts
· Generous Holiday and Vacation Schedule
To learn more about Hobsons, please visit our corporate Web site at
EEO / M / F / D / V