Manager, Software Engineering at Hobsons in Arlington, VA
Hobsons helps educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 7,500 schools, colleges, and universities worldwide.
Manager, Software Engineering
Hobsons is seeking a talented and energetic Software Engineering Manager to join our growing K-12 Product Development team in our Arlington, VA office. The Software Engineering Manager at Hobsons will be involved in significant development projects for our market-leading SaaS application, which is built on an open source LAMP architecture. We are seeking candidates that have progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility.
We are currently hiring a Manager, Software Engineer in our Arlington, VA office. Relocation expenses are NOT offered.
- Mentor the professional development of a large team of experienced engineers through performance and technical management
- Be a highly technical, hands-on coder and effective people manager
- Drive engineering efforts and manage multiple priorities to deliver new products and enhancements to our customers
- Manage team members towards incorporating best practices and innovations into our products and development processes
- Define team development standards, patterns and design principles in daily activities and lead by example
- Stay current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate our products in the education space
- Deliver quality software and reduce the occurrence of defects
- As we continue to grow, hire and retain engineering talent
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of an acceptable qualification for this position is:
- Must have expertise in Test Driven Development using PHPUnit or JUnit and be able to manage the team towards its adoption
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related degree (in lieu of degree, 5+ years of relevant work experience)
- Demonstrated progressive experience managing technical teams
- Excellent coding skills in PHP or Java, MySQL, HTML, and CSS
- Expertise in SOLID Object Oriented and design patterns including MVC
- Experience building secure web applications
- Demonstrated experience and emphasis optimizing product performance
- Passion for Agile Scrum and Continuous Integration
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
We are a hard-working, fun-loving office, and we’re looking for the right fit—someone with great communication skills and a solid work ethic who picks up skills quickly.
Hobsons offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
· Health Insurance
· Life and Disability Insurance
· Dental Plan
· 401K Plan
· Metro SmartBenefits (pre-tax option)
· Generous Paid Time Off program
We have a corporate commitment to education and actively participate in charity work to support schools locally and abroad. Through our work with PLAN (www.planusa.org), our staff joins in an annual campaign to improve education in developing nations. In the past three years, groups of employees from Hobsons have traveled to Ghana, Bolivia, and Vietnam to build educational facilities.
To learn more about Hobsons, please visit our corporate Web site at
EEO / M / F / D / V