Kitchen Manager AM at Gourmet Gorilla Inc., in Chicago, IL
The Gourmet Gorilla™ To strive for a sustainable future for our children by providing local and organic school lunches and healthier eating options. We are committed to working with community partners to provide solid nutrition for children in order to help them learn and grow. Building alliances between local farms, urban agriculturalists, dieticians, nutritionists, talented chefs, and organic food manufacturers, we are able to provide quality ingredients as well as links to educational resources on healthy food curriculum, the value of local organic foods, garden projects, and ecological awareness. Specializing in Healthy School Lunches & Corporate Events Catering.
We are building a team of professionals who care about food and where it comes from; who choose to work in a nurturing environment where all individuals are respected and coached to grow as chefs. We value creativity, diversity, breadth of knowledge, and a desire to enjoy our profession.
The opener comes in early to setup the kitchen for the day, this includes, lights, garbage, turn on equipment, load and cycle combi and retherm ovens, help pack food, manage the AM Prep Team, and liaise with the Expediter, Drivers and Packers. This position is a critical step in the daily operations of our organization so attention to detail and ability to turn up every day on time and perform to scheduled is critical.
As a growing organization this position has room for growth for the right candidate.
3am start 12pm finish.
1. 1-2 years culinary experience.
2. Ability to work a shift that starts at 2am until 10am without supervision
3. Ability to think out of the box and problem solve, trouble shoot
4. Excellent work ethic, independent self starter
5. Hand on experience using ovens for retherm process preferred.
6. Specialized training in foodservice management and nutrition is desirable, but not necessary
7. Able to lift 50 pounds and physically perform requirements of job.
8. Strong communication and interpersonal skills: both orally and in writing
8. Able to work well with others and participate as part of a team, respectful.
10.. Able to multi-task in a professional, respectful manner with keen attention to detail.
11. Committed to the mission that all children will have access to nutritious, tasty food to support the development of healthy minds and bodies while supporting the local sustainable food community.
12. Bi-lingual a plus but not required. Ability to read, write and speak English is required.
13. Drivers License required.
14. Safe Serve Sanitation License Required.
Send resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and experience with sustainable food and why you think you can lead a team.
Hours are Monday - Friday 2am-10am. Expect to work approximately 36-40 hours. Some weekend work might be required.
Starting salary: DOE