Managing Editor / Writer – Women’s Issues at GoddessConnections in Toronto, O...
Does writing about women’s issues with respect to health, career, entrepreneurship/business, relationships,sex, fitness as well as how to “juggle it all while striving for balance” get you amped up?
Do you thrive on figuring out how to engage and help strong women be the best they can be?
Trying to break into the creative journalism and looking for an avenue?
An established online controversial women’s magazine publisher located in the media capital of Toronto, Canada is seeking an ambitious, entrepreneurial writer to work in-house (with virtual access) to prepare features and content for our women’s newsletters and products/services.
This is a “work-hard, get dirty” environment, one where you will be challenged on a daily basis and yet encouraged to speak your voice and to make an immediate impact on the organization.
This particular team that you would be working with is growing and re-forming and offers you an opportunity to help shape content and customer products on day one. Your initial focus will be sourcing and writing pitches, outlines, articles and updates for the company’s magazine issues. You will be published to an audience of national and international smart, successful, super-achieving women and will help in the research and writing of impactful transformative solutions and information in the articles of wellness, self and vocation. You will be working with world-renowned subject matter experts, thought leaders and women who run it in all different walks of life. This is an excellent opportunity to get hands on experience.
– Four-year degree in journalism, women’s studies, health sciences, economics/finance, English or other relevant business, health or editorial-related major.
– Excellent writing and editing skills (This above all else is the most important as you will be writing under deadline)
– A track record of successful research projects and knowledge of online research tools, including search engines, current events/affairs sites.
– Excels in working in a collaborative environment including virtually.
– A highly entrepreneurial attitude and desire to learn about the industry.
– Minimum one or two years of professional writing or editing experience.
– Knowledge of, expertise or significant interest in women in leadership in the following areas:
business/career/entrepreneurship, health/fitness/wellness, relationships/parenting/dating, and fashion/beauty, opinions and commentary.
– Experience working in a accurate deadline-driven environment.
Submit your resume and salary expectations for consideration.
In your submission, please also include two writing samples and email them to email@example.com after submitting your application.
The first of your choice would be from your existing portfolio* and the second, a 650 -1000 word article on one of the following:
1. “Why are women so poorly represented in high tech industries at the executive (eg Silicon Valley)”?
2. What are the ramifications of the new Yahoo’s CEO’s edict on ‘no virtual work’ to women and their ability excel in their chosen field?
* College and graduate school papers are welcome, as they demonstrate your ability to write and think critically.
- Experience in Digital Media, Internet Marketing and/or Publishing industries.
- You have a portfolio of your thought provoking and creative work; written, audio, video and events.
- Know your way around Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Apps. You have worked with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Fireworks and Dreamweaver. You have been exposed to and used Camtasia, Screenflow, Skype and Evernote in your projects.
- You read, write and speak another language.
- We are primarily a virtual organization. We are flexible and believe in a rewarding work environment.
Opportunity to make a difference for women worldwide - using your voice and skills - to effect positive change.
Environment of continuous learning,awareness and growth.
- Ability to own and deliver projects that you create, investigate, plan and execute. You are your results.
- Recognition for Innovation, Provocation, Hard Work, Influence and Results!