VP of Finance at Foursquare in New York, NY
foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. We're a small but highly ambitious company with millions of users worldwide relying on foursquare to keep up with friends, discover what's nearby, save money and unlock deals. We’re also helping over a million registered merchants ranging from local businesses to global brands connect with their customers.
To thrive as a member of team foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're not afraid to move fast and break things as we release, launch, iterate, update and announce -- sometimes all in the same day. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About the role:
The core focus of this role is to develop and manage core financial infrastructure necessary to support a rapidly growing, high-profile start-up. Responsibilities to include building accounting systems, processes, controls, and infrastructure; iterate book-keeping, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and tax preparation processes; oversee cash audit, tax, valuation appraisal and regulatory compliance functions and filings; drive capital expenditure policies particularly related to IT and potential data center investments, including buy vs lease decisions.
This position is based in our New York City headquarters in Soho.
- Build and lead finance organization as needed to support financial and administrative needs of rapidly growing business.
- Develop revenue recognition, funds collection, invoicing, and tracking strategy for foursquare as company begins to scale monetization model.
- Work with management team on multi-year capital planning, annual budgeting process, development and supervision of departmental spending budgets. Own financial analysis and reporting for internal and external purposes for foursquare.
- Support continued international expansion efforts, designing financial accounting and funds management systems to support our growing team in the UK and potentially new teams in new international regions. Work with on-the-ground accountants, banks and legal teams as needed to establish local foursquare presences. Help design appropriate corporate structures to support international growth.
- Support other corporate/finance functions, potentially to include m&a activities, compensation analysis and strategy including options/equity comp, fundraising, board communications.
- Responsible for capital management, overseeing underutilized funds to best advantage.
- Potentially manage and provide leadership to other administrative and operations functions for foursquare.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience in bringing professional financial management to growing companies
- 5-10 years of relevant financial accounting and leadership experience
- Expertise with small company accounting systems (quickbooks, etc)
- Sharp strategic thinker who can design as well as manage foursquare financial functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable in a small, intense and high-growth start-up environment