Senior Data Scientist at Edmodo in San Mateo, CA
Edmodo’s mission is to connect all learners with the people and resources they need to reach their full potential. On Edmodo, teachers are at the center of a powerful network that connects them to students, administrators, parents, and publishers. This network surfaces the world’s best resources and tools, providing the building blocks of a high quality education. In Edmodo’s secure environment, teachers and students can collaborate, share content, and use educational apps to augment in-classroom learning. These powerful capabilities enable teachers to personalize learning for every student. Edmodo is free for teachers and students and always will be. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, CA. Learn more at www.edmodo.com.
About the Role
Edmodo is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to build on the backbone of our current data architecture and expand our data mining, retrieval, analysis, and application capabilities. The responsibilities of this position center around quantitative research and software engineering, collectively, where you will spend more than half of your time. The person in this position must have significant prior experience with solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches in addition to strong programming skills.
This role is ideal for a senior data scientist who has domain experience in data mining, information retrieval, or machine learning. Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated interest in the study of online social networks, with a passion for identifying and answering questions that will continuously improve on our ability to deliver the best and most meaningful products.
In addition to providing critical business information, the position offers a unique opportunity to conduct applied research while making a significant impact on key Edmodo product initiatives involving content/curriculum matching, learning patterns and learning outcomes.
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- You are a computer science whiz with strong coding abilities
- Your M.S. or Ph.D. is in a relevant technical field (preferred CS, Physics, Mathematics), or 4+ years experience in a relevant role
- Fluency with at least one scripting language such as Python, Ruby, or PHP
- Familiarity with relational databases and MySQL
- Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or SAS
- Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Aster, etc.)
- Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- A flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
- Have big data experience in a highly scaled, social technology company
Working at Edmodo
At Edmodo, we are working together to create an environment that fosters learning and growth and encourages creativity, transparency, and diversity. Hear what it’s like to work at Edmodo, directly from the Edmodo team: http://www.jobs.edmodo.com
Edmodo offers a comprehensive compensation package, which includes the following benefits:
- Aetna Medical PPO 10, HMO 15 and HSA options
- Gaurdian Dental PPO
- VSP Vision PPO
- Short-term and long-term disability
- LIFE & AD&D
- Vanguard 401(K)
- Domestic partner benefit coverage
- 10 paid holidays
- Vacation time off
- Wellness time off
- Meal plan
- Organic catered daily food, snacks and drinks
- Paid public transportation and parking
- Annual reviews
The position is located in downtown San Mateo, minutes from the 101, 280, and 92 freeways.
Edmodo is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment. Equal access to employment, services, and programs is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the organization.
Please note: Though submitting a resume to Edmodo implies that you are interested in a position(s), it does not imply that you are an applicant. You are not considered an applicant until you have been contacted directly by a Human Resources representative requesting that you begin the designated application process, which may involve phone and/or in-person interview(s), job-related testing, and background checking.