Data Infrastructure Engineer at Edmodo in San Mateo, CA
Edmodo’s mission is to connect all learners with the people and resources they need to reach their full potential. On Edmodo, teachers are at the center of a powerful network that connects them to students, administrators, parents, and publishers. This network surfaces the world’s best resources and tools, providing the building blocks of a high quality education. In Edmodo’s secure environment, teachers and students can collaborate, share content, and use educational apps to augment in-classroom learning. These powerful capabilities enable teachers to personalize learning for every student. Edmodo is free for teachers and students and always will be. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, CA. Learn more at www.edmodo.com.
About the Role
We’re looking for someone with a passion for leveraging technology to shape the future of education. You'll create the next version of our Data Infrastructure to fuel our Data Science & Analytics, Product, Engineering, and Business teams. Our Data Infrastructure has to handle our fast growth and enable us to leverage data from our existing 18M registered users. You're a practical, results-focused self-starter who will work to understand and anticipate data needs within Edmodo. You want to ensure that we can harness terabytes of data to make the best decisions.
- Build and maintain infrastructure for the complete data lifecycle from capture to insight
- Provide engineers with an easy-to-use, standardized way to build in data capture
- Supply data consumers with tools and frameworks to build dynamic data pipelines, reports, and visualizations
- Own order, data quality, and performance in the cluster and ETL processes
- Define, monitor, and respond to issues with SLAs
- Evangelize a data driven approach
- Monitor trends in Big Data and distributed computing
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics, or another technical field
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, AWS, and ETL frameworks
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL data stores
- Knowledge of Python, or a strong desire to learn
Working at Edmodo
At Edmodo, we are working together to create an environment that fosters learning and growth and encourages creativity, transparency, and diversity. Hear what it’s like to work at Edmodo, directly from the Edmodo team: http://www.jobs.edmodo.com
Edmodo offers a comprehensive compensation package, which includes the following benefits:
- Aetna Medical PPO 10, HMO 15 and HSA options
- Gaurdian Dental PPO 2000
- VSP Vision PPO
- Short-term and long-term disability
- LIFE & AD&D
- Vanguard 401(K)
- Domestic partner benefit coverage
- 10 paid holidays
- Vacation time off
- Wellness time off
- Meal plan
- Organic catered daily food, snacks and drinks
- Paid public transportation and parking
The position is located in downtown San Mateo, minutes from the 101, 280, and 92 freeways.
Edmodo is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment. Equal access to employment, services, and programs is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the organization.
Please note: Though submitting a resume to Edmodo implies that you are interested in a position(s), it does not imply that you are an applicant. You are not considered an applicant until you have been contacted directly by a Human Resources representative requesting that you begin the designated application process, which may involve phone and/or in-person interview(s), job-related testing, and background checking.