Engineering Manager at Disqus in San Francisco, CA
Disqus is looking for an Engineering Manager for our backend infrastructure team. Our team has 12+ engineers working on architecture, scaling, big data, and product development. You'll also be working very closely with the product team to build innovative products for our millions of users.
As Engineering Manager, you'll develop and improve team processes and engineering practices for strong and very technical teams. We're looking for a technical leader who is able to help our engineers do what they do best: build and release great software. Our team is fast and independent; we encourage open source contributions and full project ownership. Your role will be to keep all of our engineering passion and talent on track and in the right direction.
- Manage engineering priorities for the backend infrastructure team. Work closely with product teams in order to balance development of ongoing improvements with new product timelines.
- You'll oversee the API, Analytics, Reliability teams.
- Help improve and make decisions for development, review, and deployment processes.
- Manage technical projects and our team of backend software engineers.
- Provide feedback, decisions, and technical advice across teams.
- Play a significant role in hiring and building the right engineering teams.
- Write code when you need to.
What we're looking for
- Experience as a technical lead or manager, preferably in a startup team.
- You care deeply about using the right tools. You know project management tools and issue trackers very well.
- Very strong with Python. We use Python extensively.
- Strong with modern web technologies. We use PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Hadoop, Hive.
- Very strong technical background. You are a technical leader and can help engineers make the right decisions.
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and practices.
- Experience with developing highly scalable systems. You've worked on web software that has been used by many, many people.
- BS in Computer Science or a related technical field would be nice. Proven ability is even better.
Disqus is all about evolving how people think about online communities and discussions. We are a small but quickly growing company based in San Francisco, with a presence in New York City. At Disqus, we are passionate about building products that encourage active participation on the web. We started Disqus in 2007 because we wanted to improve conversations online. Today, the Disqus commenting platform is used by hundreds of millions of people across some of the web's largest sites and properties. We're looking for all-around great additions to our team. If you'd like to join us, check out our careers page or learn more about us and our team.
We're a small team that gets a lot done and has lots of fun along the way. All employees of Disqus receive the same great benefits.
- Competitive salaries and employee stock options
- Daily catered lunches and fully stocked snacks, drinks, and beer
- Flexible hours so you can be at your most productive
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options
- 401(k) plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, and flex spending accounts
- Apple computers (or whatever you need for your job)
- Great office location in SOMA, next to public transportation and parking (blocks from BART, Muni, Caltrain)
- Awesome, casual office environment with plenty of toys (foosball, video games, and more)