Big Data Engineer at Disqus in San Francisco, CA
Disqus powers discussions across the web as the world's favorite discussion platform. Disqus spans almost every type of community and topic imaginable. Our ambition is to raise the bar for quality online conversations, encouraging meaningful discussions via user experience cues, social incentives, and detection systems.
Disqus is hiring a Big Data Engineer to work on the data team at Disqus. We're working with a vast amount of user activity and conversational data, building algorithmic solutions in three core areas:
- Comment quality: Going beyond comment spam detection, we’re using user reputation histories and other techniques to identify trolling and other abusive behaviors.
- Conversation discovery: Show users links to other interesting pages, leveraging conversation data so that it’s not your typical related headlines box.
- Advertising: Native monetization that fits and delivers value for users and publishers.
We have plenty of data to play with: Disqus comments are seen by 700 million users per month, generating billions of pageview, comment, and voting interaction data points from all over the web. As a part of developing algorithmic products, the Data Scientist will work extremely closely with engineering, product development, and monetization teams at Disqus.
- Develop highly scalable and highly performant software.
- Apply machine learning algorithms and collaborative filtering methodologies to key strategic data products, including a recommendation engine.
- Responsible for measuring and understanding metrics in order to drive optimizations.
- Work closely with our analytics infrastructure and product engineering teams in a fast-paced development environment.
What we're looking for
- Relevant academic training. B.S. in Computer Science or a related field. A Masters degree is preferred.
- You've built some type of recommendation engine before, either in a production environment or as part of academic research.
- Extensive experience with Python for scripting as well as applications.
- Experience using tools such as R and comfortable writing complex SQL queries.
- Strong skills for Hadoop data extraction and processing, using MapReduce, Pig, and/or Hive.
- You have experience and are comfortable working with very large data sets.
- Communication skills and the proven ability to work in teams.
Disqus is all about evolving how people think about online communities and discussions. We are a small but quickly growing company based in San Francisco, with a presence in New York City. At Disqus, we are passionate about building products that encourage active participation on the web. We started Disqus in 2007 because we wanted to improve conversations online. Today, the Disqus commenting platform is used by hundreds of millions of people across some of the web's largest sites and properties. We're looking for all-around great additions to our team. If you'd like to join us, check out our careers page or learn more about us and our team.
We're a small team that gets a lot done and has lots of fun along the way. All employees of Disqus receive the same great benefits.
- Competitive salaries and employee stock options
- Daily catered lunches and fully stocked snacks, drinks, and beer
- Flexible hours so you can be at your most productive
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options
- 401(k) plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, and flex spending accounts
- Apple computers (or whatever you need for your job)
- Great office location in SOMA, next to public transportation and parking (blocks from BART, Muni, Caltrain)
- Awesome, casual office environment with plenty of toys (foosball, video games, and more)