Linux Systems Engineer at DataXu in Boston, MA
Our people are as innovative as our company!
The "Xu" (pronounced "zoo") is growing and we're looking for additional team members:
Linux Systems Engineer
DataXu’s Technical Operations team is looking for a talented Linux Systems Engineer to join our team. Reporting to our Director of Technical Operations, the Linux Systems Engineer will take on responsibility for managing DataXu’s SaaS, R&D, and internal office infrastructure from design to deployment. This Systems Engineer will play a strategic role on the team in decision-making and future planning for our SaaS environment.
- Maintaining our 24x7x365 SaaS global highly available environment.
- Managing application upgrades including scheduling, coordinating, communicating and maintaining high availability and data integrity throughout process.
- Streamlining systems management and deployment process tools by implementing automation where necessary.
- Work collaboratively with engineering and other administrators to develop and implement improved deployment practices.
- Create and maintain documentation on processes and procedures.
- Maintain and ensure backups and disaster recovery procedures are maintained and tested regularly.
- Proactively monitor systems and network utilization to make recommendations for future capacity and scalability.
- Work collaboratively with engineering, QA, product teams and understand impact to infrastructure based on requirements.
- Provide operational support to engineering Linux users on the desktop as needed.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation.
- 5+ years of experience with Linux (RedHat/CentOS)
- Experience managing large distributed server environments (200+ servers)
- Scripting experience for task automation with Bash, Perl and/or Ruby
- Proficient in understanding Linux internals (including performance tuning and TCP stack tuning).
- Experience in administration of relational DBs (ie. PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- Ability to configure, maintain and proactively troubleshoot issues using NMS tools (such as Nagios).
- Thrive in a dynamic startup environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Experience with managing and enforcing use of configuration management tools (such as Puppet and/or CFengine)
- Strong documentation and communication skills with the ability to explain very complex issues in a clear and concise way.
- Understanding tools to manage access control/users with LDAP or Kerberos (bonus for working w/ LDAP and Active Directory hybrid environments)
- Must be a self-starter, work well independently and with a team with the ability to multitask; strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in managing and tuning JVMs and complex Java applications.
- Experience in managing system and network level security and best practices (including firewall, IDS, system and network scanners)
- Experience working with an agile software development team with frequent release and deployments.
- Experience managing and tuning performance of Tomcat and/or Apache.
- Solid fundamental understanding IP; routing, switching, load balancing and differences between the OSI layers.
- Understanding of administration and maintenance of SVN or other source control systems.
- Positive attitude, forward thinking, and ability to maintain momentum while under pressure.
- Deep knowledge of load balancing architecture and design; both datacenter server load balancing and network wide geographic load balancing.
- Proficient with configuration and maintenance of network equipment (firewalls, VPN devices, load balancers).
- Fundamental knowledge of IP routing and the internet as well as BGP and MPLS.
- Experience with virtualized infrastructure and/or a Cloud Computing environment.
- Specific basic DBA and operational experience with PostgreSQL.
- Experience managing large clusters of servers running Hadoop and other technologies based on Hadoop’s framework.
Headquartered in Boston, MA, with offices in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Europe, and recently voted "Best Place to Work" by Advertising Age and "Top Place to Work" by The Boston Globe, DataXu is the only Digital Marketing Management (DMM) platform offering real time optimization for advertising across display, mobile, social and video channels. Now experience exceptional growth, DataXu is a private, venture backed company with the resources to make a big impact in the advertising industry by lead revolutionary change in both technology and media.
DataXu's DX3 is the first and only machine learning-based DMM capable of making impression-level ad-buying decisions in real time, optimizing creative, consumer and contextual ad choices across all media channels to help brands get more customers, faster, for less money. Forrester Research recently recognized DataXu as the leader in our space, with DX3 ranked as the #1 current offering ("The Forrester Wave™: Demand-Side Platforms, Q4 2011: http://www.dataxu.com/news/press-releases/forrester-wave-report/)
At DataXu, we're building a world-class company, and are looking for the best and the brightest to take us there. Consider this your opportunity to lead the next wave in advertising technology--in an industry that is expected to double in just the next 5 years!
✓ Medical & Dental Insurance – 100% company paid deductible
✓ Flexible Spending Account (Medical, Dependent & Transportation care)
✓ Onsite dry-cleaning service
✓ Free company lunches weekly
✓ Innovation Day / Hack Day
✓ Generous Employee Referral Program
✓ "Xu Keeper" Monthly Employee Recognition Program
✓ Free snacks and drinks
✓ Friday afternoon Beer & Wine socials