GIS Developer at Clearpath Robotics in Kitchener, Canada
Position: GIS Developer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-5 Years
Education: Master's Degree in related field
Clearpath Robotics Inc. specializes in the design and manufacture of unmanned vehicle systems, software, and components for academic and industrial research and development. Our clients range from small local businesses to some of the best known technical institutions on the planet. Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Clearpath Robotics employs highly talented people who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor, and we’re looking for people who share in our passion to create remarkable products and change the world.
About the Job
Our newest service department requires the expertise and entrepreneurial mind-set to build a GIS team from the ground up, as well as the important software solutions to process environmental survey data and generating analytical reports for our clients. The GIS Developer will work closely with our Engineering team and will report to our General Manager – Engineering Services.
- Research, select, and develop GIS software solutions for planning, collecting, and analyzing data to produce high quality bathymetry maps for our data collection partners and clients
- Conduct post-processing of survey data collected and create digital surface models and detailed reports for clients. This includes manually cleaning sounding selections, providing contour interpolation and digital surface models
- Design and implement automated reporting systems for GIS data
- Design and develop our own turnkey GIS software solutions
- Questioning the status quo of a well-established market
- End-to-end new product development centred around unmanned environmental survey applications
- Minor project management, delegation and training
- Applicants must be willing to travel occasionally to assist our survey team with on-site implementation and training
- Other duties as required
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Master’s degree in GIS or related technical field with 1-5 years relevant work experience (may include co-op work terms)
- Thorough knowledge of diverse suite of proprietary and open source GIS software which may include ArcGIS and AutoCAD
- Experience with using manufacturer-supported APIs to develop GIS applications
- Experience with the finer details of data analysis, including working with multiple data formats, converting between map projections, and compositing multiple sources of data
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
Bonus points for:
- Familiar with common environmental sensing hardware, including LIDAR, SONAR (single/multibeam/sidescan), and GPR.
- Experience in an environmental consulting environment
- Experience developing end-to-end GIS data applications, web application visualisations, large databases, and integrating environmental modelling into GIS systems
- Experience with water surveying software such as Hypack, QUINSy, Fledermaus and HIPS/SIPS
- Experience with business analysis and technical writing
- Experience with wireless networking
Apply here. Along with your cover letter and resume, please also send testimonials as well as source code, portfolio media, references, or other indications of exceptional past work. You can send these as a single file (including your resume) or wait for further submission instructions in the application confirmation email. If your skills don’t fit this job description, but you’re still interested in working with us please apply to our “General Robotics Enthusiast” position. No recruiters or form cover letters, please. They do not please our mechanical masters.