Publicist at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed is seeking an aggressive, hard-working, proactive publicist to join our editorial team in New York. The person will be responsible for promoting reporters, editors and content focused on lifestyle and pop culture but should be a generalist and able to grow with our expanding editorial team. The role will report to the Executive Editor and work closely with the Press Manager.
We're the leading social news organization, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and viral content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing and reaches more than 20 million monthly unique visitors.
This job is based in our NYC offices, and we offer competitive compensation and stock option program.
- Manage press for lifestyle and pop culture sections to promote content and editors/reporters, focusing on TV and radio.
- Build out existing rolodex to expand press coverage
- Help plan and run company initiatives through events and partnerships
- Pursue placements on panels and industry events
- Strong editorial sensibility
- Proven ability to pitch and secure placements at major media outlets
- Excellent organization skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Accessibility after hours and on weekends
- 2-4 years experience in media and/or PR
BuzzFeed is a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the viral distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for viral media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our viral media network reaches an additional 300M.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.