Politics Intern at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed Politics needs a full-time reporting intern available to start immediately, working five days a week from our New York office.
We’re looking for an ambitious, eager reporter with a passion for writing about national politics. The politics intern will be tasked with writing and reporting political stories, conducting research, and teaming up with other reporters on articles. Candidates absolutely must have experience and be comfortable with picking up the phone and calling sources on a regular basis. All applicants should have some professional news reporting experience, be familiar with Lexis/Nexis databases, and be willing to use social media platforms, specifically Twitter.
This is a paid internship based in our New York City offices and NOT a summer internship. We are looking to hire someone who can start as soon as possible.
Interested candidates should email Jacob Fischler, email@example.com , with the following materials:
- Short and conversational cover letter
- Memo with four brief story/post pitches based on the week’s latest political news
- Pursue, report, and write political stories
- Perform research as assigned by the political editor
- Pitch ideas for articles, posts, and projects to our political editor
- Participate daily in the political conversation on Twitter
- Assist other reporters as assigned with their articles and projects
- May be asked to transcribe interviews
- Available to work full-time Monday through Friday
- Previous internship experience at a news organization
- A genuine interest in and avid follower of national politics
- Comfort with the fast pace of internet publishing
- Familiarity with Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc.
- Experience with Nexis/Lexis or similar research tools is a plus
- A willingness to talk to sources on the phone and in person
- A love of adventure, and a positive, curious, playful disposition
- A sense of humor
- No haters
BuzzFeed is the leading social news organization, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and social content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. BuzzFeed’s technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in real-time with the hottest content of the moment. BuzzFeed.com is growing rapidly and reaches more than 40 million monthly unique visitors.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, is an MIT Media Lab grad who previously co-founded the Huffington Post. Ben Smith is its Editor-in-chief, Google alum Jon Steinberg is President and COO, and Huffington Post co-founder Kenneth Lerer serves as Executive Chairman.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.