News Director at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
We’re looking for an experienced, fast, obsessive, and Twitter savvy player-coach to develop and manage our growing breaking news operation, and to shape a vision of breaking news for the social age. The successful candidate will have experience reporting on major, breaking news events at a professional news operation; and will also be totally native to the Twitter conversation where breaking news now lives. She or he will also have experience in, and/or desire to, manage talented and ambitious reporters on a general breaking news beat, and to pitch into breaking news stories on a variety of subjects. The is an always-on job for a news junkie, and reports to the editor-in-chief.
This job is based in our NYC offices, and we offer competitive compensation and stock option program.
- Assign and write breaking news stories on vast range of subjects
- Teach and manage more junior reporters.
- Develop and maintain standards for breaking news in the social era.
- Figure out how to assign and package news in a format that readers want to share.
- Take occasional shifts running @buzzfeednews.
- Pitch in on breaking news in vertical areas ranging from LGBT to music.
- Respond at all hours to major news events.
- Hard news reporting experience at a professional news organization.
- Proven management skill and/or eagerness to manage a talented group of reporters.
- Great news judgment.
- No haters
BuzzFeed is a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the viral distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for viral media that reaches over 40 million monthly unique visitors and our viral media network reaches an additional 300M.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.