Longform Editor at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed is hiring a Longform Editor. We're a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our network tracks an additional 300M uniques.
We're looking for an experienced editor who can assign, edit and occasionally write reported narrative features — and who wants to help us figure out how to make long, reported articles work on the social web.
This job is based in our NYC offices and offers a competitive compensation with stock options.
- Assign and edit highly shareable feature-length stories across a variety of disciplines, including entertainment, politics and tech
- Make an impact in the cultural conversation
- Work with existing BuzzFeed editorial staff to develop story ideas, and reporting and writing skills
- Assign stories to freelancers
- Experiment with new formats for feature stories
- Crack the code of what kinds of stories people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about.
- At least five years' experience editing and assigning feature-length stories
- High emotional intelligence
- A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
- A competitive drive -- you enjoy winning, really going for it
- Comfort and familiarity with online journalism
- A genuine, wide-eyed love of pop culture
- Established social media presence
BuzzFeed is a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the viral distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for viral media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our viral media network reaches an additional 300M.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.