Jr. System Administrator at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed's hiring a Jr. System Administrator. We're the leading social news organization, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and viral content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending onthe web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content ofthe moment. Our site is a rapidly growing and reaches more than 20 million monthly unique visitors.
This job is based in our NYC offices, and we offer competitive compensation and stock option program.
You will be part of a three person team, which is responsible for:
- Management, maintenance and growth of our production servers and infrastructure.
- System configuration management and automation.
- Backups, disaster recovery and troubleshooting.
- Strong Unix/Linux skills.
- Experience with web servers (Apache / lighttpd)
- Experience managing and scaling MySQL servers.
- Knowledge of networking topology design and administration.
- Familiarity with system monitoring: Nagios, Cacti, Munin.
- Experience with MongoDB a plus.
- Experience with Amazon AWS, EC2, S3 a plus.
BuzzFeed is a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the viral distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for viral media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our viral media network reaches an additional 300M.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.