Investigative Reporters at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
We're looking for several terrific, ambitious investigative reporters.
Successful candidates must have landed major investigative projects that got people indicted or spurred policy shifts. Candidates must be interested in using a new media ecosystem — one where big news breaks first on the web and spreads across Twitter and Facebook — for the timeless goals of holding people accountable and making change.
We’re looking for a range of experience, 3 years to 30, and a mix of all-around reporters and those with an expertise in certain areas, including but not limited to education, politics, law enforcement, finance, civil rights, environment, national security, and science/healthcare. The position reports to the investigations and projects editor. It is based in New York, though for the right candidate covering certain issues we might consider Washington, DC, or another city. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Report like a pit bull, write like an angel.
- Find and execute stories that hold people or institutions accountable and that spur change.
- Help create new kinds of investigative projects and forms for the social web.
- Work well with others and occasionally team up with beat or data reporters.
- Be willing and able to jump into a fast moving story to deliver scoops and think three steps ahead of the competition.
- Have executed at least one major investigative project — with writing that pops. Clips must demonstrate this.
- Willing to spend Sunday mornings knocking on the home doors of people who slammed the phone on you the previous week.
- Able to craft a compelling reason or three to get those people to talk to you.
- Willing to develop and work with massive databases — if necessary by entering thousands of records by hand.
- Willing to do the rest of the unglamorous work, such as poring over tomes of technical and legal filings, including the footnotes, until you need new glasses.
- Think constantly about how to tell the story during the reporting, actively seeking out details about character and narrative.
- Think of “bulletproof” the way rich people think of “summer” — as a verb, something you do. A little obsessiveness never hurt.
- Understand the social web, both as distribution channel and reporting resource.
- Want to work at a place that revels in both the serious and the fun.
- No haters!
BuzzFeed is the social news and entertainment company. BuzzFeed is redefining online advertising with its social, content-driven publishing technology. BuzzFeed provides the most shareable breaking news, original reporting, entertainment and video across the social web to its global audience of 100M.