Foreign Editor at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
We're looking for an experienced, obsessive, and ambitious player-coach, based in New York and Washington, to build a new kind of national security and world news coverage. The successful candidate will have great sources and a grasp of topics including the transitions and conflicts in the Middle East; Mexico; China; Russia; and central Africa; and will ideally have expertise in at least one of those. The candidate will also understand what kind of original reporting, from Washington and from correspondents abroad, will break through the conversation, and will be eager to train more junior reporters here and abroad.
The position reports to the editor in chief. It may be based in New York or Washington, DC, and we offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Work, with other BuzzFeed editors, to decide on the placement and staffing of international bureaus.
- Edit and manage reporters in Washington and abroad.
- Write, report, and break news.
- At least five years experience reporting on some aspect of international news, foreign policy, and/or national security.
- Current/former beat reporters strongly preferred.
- A genuine obsession with the subject matter.
- Proven willingness to experiment with form.
- An interest in online cultures in regions of interest.
- The intense work ethic required for a start-up environment.
- Proven ability to produce stories that are shared and discussed.
- Grasp of the present media ecosystem.
- Established social media presence, particularly on Twitter
BuzzFeed is the leading social news organization, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and social content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. BuzzFeed’s technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in real-time with the hottest content of the moment. BuzzFeed.com is growing rapidly and reaches more than 60 million monthly unique visitors.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, is an MIT Media Lab grad who previously co-founded the Huffington Post. Ben Smith is its Editor-in-chief, Google alum Jon Steinberg is President and COO, and Huffington Post co-founder Kenneth Lerer serves as Executive Chairman.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.