Editorial Intern- Shift at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed's women's interest and lifestyle section, Shift, needs a hard-working editorial intern for a full-time paid position in the New York office. The person will work closely with Shift editors on research, content creation, and idea generation. We're a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our network tracks an additional 300M uniques. The person will work closely with editors of the soon-to-launch women's interest vertical.
The ideal candidate will have some experience writing, reporting, and researching at a previous media internship or school newspaper. This is an excellent opportunity to work on a fast-paced, quickly growing site in its beginning stages and add clips to a portfolio.
This is a paid internship based in our NYC offices.
- Perform photo or other research as assigned by editors of the women's interest vertical.
- Transcribe interviews.
- Write short posts.
- Longer stories may be assigned depending on the intern's interests and journalistic ability.
- Pitch ideas in editorial meetings.
- Take notes in editorial meetings. May be asked to update the editorial calendar or perform other light administrative duties.
- Maintain Shift's Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest accounts
- Previous experience in an editorial role at a school newspaper, or other internship at a magazine or website. Some blogging experience a plus.
- Overall eagerness and enthusiasm.
- Comfort with the fast pace of internet publishing.
- Experience with an array of social media platforms, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and Pinterest.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.