Reporter, Breaking News at BuzzFeed in New York, NY
BuzzFeed's hiring a breaking news reporter. We're the leading social news organization, intensely focused on delivering high-quality original reporting, insight, and viral content across a rapidly expanding array of subject areas. Our technology powers the social distribution of content, detects what is trending onthe web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content ofthe moment. Our site is a rapidly growing and reaches more than 20 million monthly unique visitors.
We're looking for a web-native news maniac obsessed with the things people are going to be sharing and talking about. You should live in Twitter and be equally fluent with Google Trends and Google News. You'll be creating posts on the stories that are just starting to take off on the social web, with the goal of reinventing the wire story for the social web.
This job is based in our NYC offices, and we offer competitive compensation and stock option program.
- Conceive, write and edit news stories for BuzzFeed.com
- Create posts with an eye to their visual impact, with a focus on photos and video
- Stay ahead of the news cycle
- Contribute to the national news conversation
- Obsession with breaking news, no matter when or where it happens
- A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
- Speed is key -- you've got to be fast
- A competitive drive -- you enjoy winning and really going for it
- Proven ability to get viral traffic and stay at the forefront of the news cycle
- Established social media presence
BuzzFeed is a new kind of media company for the social world. Our technology powers the viral distribution of content, detects what is trending on the web, and connects people in realtime with the hottest content of the moment. Our site is a rapidly growing hub for viral media that reaches over 20 million monthly unique visitors and our viral media network reaches an additional 300M.
BuzzFeed is at the forefront of a major shift in the advertising industry away from traditional banner ads towards "social advertising" that engages consumers, inspires sharing, and produces viral lift, or "earned media."
BuzzFeed's industry leading technology and unique social distribution engine is used by top brands such as GE, Kraft, and Coca Cola to go beyond banners, turbo charging their social advertising and branded content initiatives.
Jonah Peretti, founder & CEO of BuzzFeed, previously cofounded the Huffington Post and is a graduate of the MIT Media Lab.
BuzzFeed is backed by: NEA, Softbank, Hearst, RRE, Lerer Ventures, SV Angel and Founder Collective.