Software Engineers (Ruby, Python and/or Java) - eCommerce at Rafter, Inc. in ...
Rafter, Inc., the leading course materials management platform, lowers the cost of education by providing colleges and universities with much needed tools to manage the rapidly changing world of course materials on campus. To learn more visit www.rafter.com and watch our video. Rafter evolved from BookRenter.com, the first online textbook rental site, launched in 2008 with a mission to make education more affordable by allowing students to rent textbooks for up to 80% off the retail price. Rafter is one of the few private ed tech companies that is truly lowering the cost of higher education for students. By working directly with more than 300 schools to turn the painful and archaic process of managing course materials into a low cost, student-centric service, Rafter has saved students more than $250m. By taking an enterprise approach to course materials management, the Rafter Course Materials Network takes a more holistic approach that provides colleges and universities with a path to discover, adopt, distribute and manage physical and digital course materials. 500+ schools run on Rafter!
Software Engineers (Ruby on Rails, Python and/or Java) - eCommerce
We are looking for a talented Ruby on Rails Engineer to help us expand our ecommerce offerings in the b2c, web, mobile and social arenas.
As a member of the engineering team you will:
- Collaborate in a team oriented, exciting, challenging, and rewarding environment
- Design and develop applications with consumer and business targeted audiences
- Cultivate and champion the product, user experience, and elegant architecture
- Experiment with technologies including: clojure, node, and whatever else strikes your fancy!
- We love Ruby (some of us are drawn to Clojure too).
- We are full stack engineers and learn from each other.
- Pair program on the hard stuff, but not on everything (phew, that'd be exhausting!)
- Are pragmatic, curious, collaborative, iterative, and fun
- Set aside time to try new technologies and build fun (or funny) things
- Work with many technologies including: Ruby, Rails, Python, Java, MySQL, iOS, jQuery, CoffeeScript, Backbone, HAML, SASS
- RafterHacks – our internal hackathon; where we dogfood our own platform in a app building competitive showdown.
- Experience in building well-designed, scalable web applications with a focus on superior user experience.
- At least 2+ years experience developing in Ruby on Rails or Python, plus 3 + years real world experience developing sophisticated web applications.
- Experience writing automated tests (test::unit, shoulda, rspec, or similar) in an automated build/ continuous integration environment.
- Experience building APIs for internal and external use in a SaaS environment.
- Experience working in Agile teams (scrum, story writing, sprints, spikes, etc.).
- Enjoy whiteboarding data models, user interfaces, and workflows with others.
- Comfortable working in Git and Unix / Mac OS X.
- A strong track record of successful engineering efforts is a big plus.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Are you an active contributor to open source software? We love to see your work - send us a link to your GitHub projects.
We offer competitive salary, benefits, and the chance to improve the lives of millions of students!
Read more about our success.
Rafter Experiences 1,400 Percent Annual Revenue Growth in On-Campus Commerce -
To learn more about Rafter, visit us on the web at www.rafter.com.