Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails, Python and/or Java) at Rafter, Inc. ...
Rafter, Inc. the leading course materials management platform, lowers the cost of education by providing colleges and universities with much needed tools to manage the rapidly changing world of course materials on campus. To learn more visit www.rafter.com and watch our video. Rafter evolved from BookRenter.com, the first online textbook rental site, launched in 2008 with a mission to make education more affordable by allowing students to rent textbooks for up to 80% off the retail price. Rafter is one of the few private ed tech companies that is truly lowering the cost of higher education for students. By working directly with more than 300 schools to turn the painful and archaic process of managing course materials into a low cost, student-centric service, Rafter has saved students more than $300m. By taking an enterprise approach to course materials management, the Rafter Course Materials Network takes a more holistic approach that provides colleges and universities with a path to discover, adopt, distribute and manage physical and digital course materials.
Senior Software Engineers (Ruby on Rails, Python and/or Java)
What You'll Be Doing...
- Collaborate in a team oriented, exciting, challenging, and rewarding environment
- Design and develop applications with consumer and business targeted audiences
- Cultivate and champion the product, user experience, and elegant architecture
- Experiment with technologies including: clojure, node, and whatever else strikes your fancy!
- Build fun (required) and useful (optional) plugins for our campfire bot
- 3+ years of experience developing in Ruby, Python and/or Java
- Experience in designing and building web applications
- Enjoy whiteboarding data models, user interfaces, and workflows with others
- A good eye for intuitive UI and UX
- Comfortable working in Git and Unix / Mac OS X
- TDD and writing automated tests (test:: unit, shoulda, rspec, or similar)
- Data modeling and performance optimization
- API and SaaS development
- We love Ruby (some of us are drawn to Clojure too)
- Whiteboarding on the walls
- Pair program on the hard stuff, but not on everything (phew, that'd be exhausting!)
- Set aside time to try new technologies and build fun (or funny) things
- Are pragmatic, curious, collaborative, iterative, and fun
- Work with many technologies including: Ruby, Rails, Python, MySQL, iOS, jQuery, CoffeeScript, Backbone, HAML, SASS
Are you an active contributor to open source software? We love to see your work - send us a link to your GitHub projects.
We offer competitive salary, benefits, and the chance to improve the lives of millions of students!
Read more about our success.
Rafter Experiences 1,400 Percent Annual Revenue Growth in On-Campus Commerce -
To learn more about Rafter, visit us on the web at www.rafter.com.
Rafter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
“Veterans of the United States Armed Forces are encouraged to apply. Thank you for your service.”