Senior Data Warehouse Engineer at Rafter, Inc. in San Mateo, CA
Rafter, Inc. , the leading course materials management platform. Rafter lowers the cost of education by providing colleges and universities with much needed tools to manage the rapidly changing world of course materials on campus. To learn more visit www.rafter.com and watch our video. Rafter evoloved from BookRenter.com, the first online textbook rental site, launched in 2008 with a mission to make education more affordable by allowing students to rent textbooks for up to 80% off the retail price. Rafter is one of the few private ed tech companies that is truly lowering the cost of higher education for students. By working directly with more than 300 schools to turn the painful and archaic process of managing course materials into a low cost, student-centric service, Rafter has saved students more than $190m. By taking an enterprise approach to course materials management, the Rafter Course Materials Network takes a more holistic approach that provides colleges and universities with a path to discover, adopt, distribute and manage physical and digital course materials.
BookRenter.com is looking for a Senior Data Warehouse Engineer to extend and maintain our highly valued data warehouse and reporting environment. The data warehousing industry has disappointed us by failing to deliver tools that make data quickly and cleanly accessible. The database isn’t the problem. The source system isn’t the problem. Elegance and consistency in movement and transformation is the problem. Fidelity is the problem. You should have a keen interest in big data and web semantics and the drive to create new solutions. This is an ideal role to leverage your interest in knowledge manipulation, classification schemes and quantification, and build a system that no current commercial product can deliver.
- Technical implementation and maintenance of the conforming dimensions and conforming facts in the data warehouse (Greenplum), including building
- Continually ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure and DW implemntation to support system performance, availability and architecture requirements
- Monitors and maintains data quality including implementing a foolproof change data capture mechanism, a strategy for correcting data erorrs, managing an audit dimension, etc.
- Integrate OLTP sources (MySQL) into the analysis environment (Greenplum)
- Implement a streaming orientation from OLTP and clickstream sources to reduce data latency
- Merge call center, operations, CRM and other data sources into the analysis environment
- Develop and maintain Pentaho Kettle transforms and jobs
- Develop and maintain bulk imports into the Greenplum analytic database
- Develop automation for continuous validation of data quality
- Maintain alerting and triage system for data quality failures
- 5+ years experience working extensively with SQL, including the ability to write, analyze, debug queries and execute advanced OLAP functions.
- Proficiency in scripting languages (Ruby, Shell, Python, Perl)
- Experience with any/all of the following technologies: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Greenplum, Vertica, Netezza
- Strong technical understanding of data modeling, design and architecture principles and techniques across master data, transaction data and derived/analytic data; strong technical expertise in data storage/management technologies for both OLTP and DW solutions
- Excellent understanding of various relational database design concepts (modeling, design, metadata management)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with engineering and business teams, including a demonstrated ability to communicate ideas and solutions to non-technical people
- Excellent track record of defining and meeting customer-facing commitments
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Specialization in data management preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in enterprise data warehouse architecture principles, methods, techniques and technologies and three years experience with data information management-related components of large, complex data solutions.
This position offers competitive salary, benefits, and the chance to improve the lives of millions of students.