Customer Validation Representative (Seasonal) at Rafter, Inc. in San Mateo, CA
Rafter, Inc. the leading course materials management platform, lowers the cost of education by providing colleges and universities with much needed tools to manage the rapidly changing world of course materials on campus. To learn more visit www.rafter.com and watch our video. Rafter evolved from BookRenter.com, the first online textbook rental site, launched in 2008 with a mission to make education more affordable by allowing students to rent textbooks for up to 80% off the retail price. Rafter is one of the few private ed tech companies that is truly lowering the cost of higher education for students. By working directly with more than 300 schools to turn the painful and archaic process of managing course materials into a low cost, student-centric service, Rafter has saved students more than $300m. By taking an enterprise approach to course materials management, the Rafter Course Materials Network takes a more holistic approach that provides colleges and universities with a path to discover, adopt, distribute and manage physical and digital course materials.
Customer Validation Representative (Seasonal)
Location: San Mateo, CA
Position Type: Temporary non-exempt (1 - 2 months)
Requisition #: 0208
Are you interested in working for one of the leading startups in the Bay Area, where you will be given the opportunity to grow and be a part of our dynamic customer validation team? At Rafter, we pride ourselves in providing a work culture that exposes you to innovative ideas and challenges that create new opportunities and experiences. We are currently looking for a highly motivated and detail oriented professional to join us!
You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with a team of specialists to detect and investigate signs of external credit card fraud. You will play an integral key role during our peak order season in protecting the company against fraudulent activity and helping the team determine whether orders are fraudulent or legitimate. In doing so, you’ll also help recover past rentals and outstanding balances from customers who want to re-order.
Through your investigative research, you will get exposure to the customer order flow and the daily operations of the Customer Validation Department. With this knowledge, you will take the lead on determining the verdict of an order by analyzing all available order information and recording your decision into case notes. You and the team will work closely in a fast-paced, energetic work environment to achieve the ultimate goal of effectively serving the customer and preventing any fraudulent activity from occurring.
- Assist with investigations of external credit card theft and fraud
- Research customer accounts to detect and mitigate losses resulting in fraud
- Research order data and characteristics to determine legitimacy
- Complete order review in a timely fashion; approx. within 24 hours
Contact customer via email and phone to effectively:
- Request account information
- Tactfully obtain additional information not already available to determine legitimacy
- Resolve declined credit card charges
- Inform customer of pertinent policies
- Set deadline for customer resolution as applicable
- Contact customers regarding questionable account information and become proficient with CRM (Customer Relations Management Tool)
- Provide detailed notes on order history, email and phone correspondence with customer
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, written and verbal communicating skills
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, to take initiative and make decisions
- Detail oriented and organized
- Excellent customer service skills; Comfortable talking to customers on the phone
- Independent worker who’s willing to ask questions and receive feedback
- Knowledgeable of social networking profiles, maps, other basic online tools and major websites
- Prior experience in loss prevention, security services, asset protection, risk and/or inventory management, customer service, quality assurance, or other related field is a plus
- Flexible schedule preferred
- Work on weekends may be required
This is a temporary (1 - 2 months), full time, non-exempt position.
Read more about our success.
Rafter Experiences 1,400 Percent Annual Revenue Growth in On-Campus Commerce -
Rafter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
“Veterans of the United States Armed Forces are encouraged to apply. Thank you for your service.”