Customer Service Representative at Rafter, Inc. in San Mateo, CA
Rafter, Inc., the leading course materials management platform, lowers the cost of education by providing colleges and universities with much needed tools to manage the rapidly changing world of course materials on campus. To learn more visit www.rafter.com and watch our video. Rafter evolved from BookRenter.com, the first online textbook rental site, launched in 2008 with a mission to make education more affordable by allowing students to rent textbooks for up to 80% off the retail price. Rafter is one of the few private ed tech companies that is truly lowering the cost of higher education for students. By working directly with more than 300 schools to turn the painful and archaic process of managing course materials into a low cost, student-centric service, Rafter has saved students more than $250m. By taking an enterprise approach to course materials management, the Rafter Course Materials Network takes a more holistic approach that provides colleges and universities with a path to discover, adopt, distribute and manage physical and digital course materials. 500+ schools run on Rafter!
Customer Service Representative
Location: San Mateo, CA
Position Type: Temporary - Full-Time Employee (non-exempt)
Requisition #: 0191
What are we looking for? At BookRenter.com, our customers are our #1 priority. We are seeking individuals who are upbeat, able to maintain a sense of humor and a positive communication style with our customers at all times. We are looking for several call-center representatives with at least 6 months customer service experience. You will handle a large volume of telephone calls, chats and emails, as well as projects on a need basis. You will demonstrate personal drive, commitment & positive energy. Upon completion of your training, you will be empowered to solve problems independently in a results driven environment.
- Communicating effectively with customers via email, live chat, and telephone
- Handling customers’ inquiries
- Researching, resolving, and following up on customer issues
- Maintaining and updating our customer service database
- Handling a large volume of phone calls, chat and emails
- Assisting customer with order placing
- Diligently following up with customers about their existing and previous orders
- Appropriately documenting all transactions and pertinent interactions
- Ability to communicate (verbally & written) professionally and clearly with all customers
- Basic computer literacy. Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite, and have experience using a PC in an office environment. If you don’t know what a browser is, this job isn’t for you
- Experience using CRM and, Online Chat tools
- Good comprehension skills-- ability to clearly understand and state the issues the customer presents
- Good composition skills - ability to compose a grammatically correct, concise, and accurate written response
- Excellent customer service skills, including maintaining focus on the customer issue amidst a bustling, fast-paced environment
- Ability to quickly, pleasantly, and professionally work with customers to answer questions, deescalate problems, and determine an agreeable resolution to a customer’s problem and follow through to ensure a level of service that presents an overwhelming positive customer service experience
- Takes ownership to resolve challenging customer issues, only escalating when absolutely necessary
- Ability to approach problems logically & rationally
- Flexible with working schedule; including working weekends, holidays/events as dictated by business need; most often occurring in the weeks surrounding our busiest seasons. Overtime is often required and mandatory during our peak seasons
- Maintain a positive attitude; a smile that can be heard through the telephone and in your written communication
- Maintain a calm, professional demeanor when faced with high demand, high volume workloads
This is a temporary, full time, non-exempt position.
Read more about our success.
Rafter Experiences 1,400 Percent Annual Revenue Growth in On-Campus Commerce -