Social Media Coordinator at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
Bookshare, the world's largest accessible digital library for people with print disabilities, is seeking a savvy, innovative Social Media Coordinator to take Bookshare’s social media efforts to the next level. Bookshare is a Benetech project. This is a part-time position, ideal for a graduate level student studying marketing or an experienced marketing professional looking for a flexible working schedule.
Benetech was founded to be a different kind of tech company—a nonprofit—with a pure focus on developing technology for the social good. In many ways, we’re like a start-up company in a venture capital environment—identifying new markets and new ways to be efficient in existing markets. The big difference is that our bottom line is centered on how many lives we can help, not on how much money we will make.
We have four main program areas—Human Rights, Global Literacy, Environment, and Benetech Labs—and focus on projects that offer the greatest social return on the funds invested. Jim Fruchterman, social entrepreneur and MacArthur Fellow, founded Benetech in 1989 and leads the organization as its President & CEO. Benetech has over 70 employees, most of which work out of our Palo Alto headquarters on California Avenue (walking distance from Caltrain and Stanford University).
As a part of the Marketing team, you will work with the Sr. Marcom Manager to grow and engage Bookshare audiences across multiple social media channels. The ideal candidate will love social media, be fluent and active in using different social media platforms, and be adept at building communities in measurable ways. The candidate should also have understanding of fundamental marketing principles and how to analyze and communicate social media performance data.
This is a part-time contract position.
Key Project Responsibilities
- Work directly with the Sr. Marcom Manager to develop social media plans and campaigns
- Manage day-to-day engagement across social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Bookshare blog
- Write and produce high quality, accurate content Write content for the Bookshare blog
- Analyze social media campaign performance using social analytics tools
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong affinity for social media
- Knowledge of the social media analytics and platforms (ie. Facebook Insights, Hootsuite, TweetDeck and WordPress)
- Strong writing skills (please submit a writing sample, either promotional piece or blog content, you’ve written in the past)
- Experience with using design editing tools to manipulate logos and images for optimization on social media
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to convey complex information in a polished, clear, concise, and professional manner
- Ability to work in team environment
- Knowledge or interest in education, disabilities, nonprofits are a plus
- BA/BS with coursework in marketing, business, economics
- Relevant graduate degree a plus