Marketing Analyst at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
Marketing Analyst Job Description
Contract, Part-time position
Benetech’s Literacy project Bookshare, which serves over a quarter million users and is one of the world's largest accessible digital library for people with print disabilities, is seeking a savvy, innovative contract part time Marketing Analyst to take Bookshare’s data analysis to the next level. This position is ideal for a graduate level student studying marketing or an experienced marketing professional looking for a flexible working schedule.
Benetech was founded to be a different kind of tech company—a nonprofit—with a pure focus on developing technology for the social good. In many ways, we’re like a start-up company in a venture capital environment—identifying new markets and new ways to be efficient in existing markets. The big difference is that our bottom line is centered on how many lives we can help, not on how much money we will make.
We have four main program areas—Human Rights, Global Literacy, Environment, and Benetech Labs—and focus on projects that offer the greatest social return on the funds invested. Jim Fruchterman, social entrepreneur and MacArthur Fellow, founded Benetech in 1989 and leads the organization as its President & CEO. Benetech has over 70 employees, most of which work out of our Palo Alto headquarters on California Avenue (walking distance from Caltrain and Stanford University).
As a part of the Literacy Marketing team, you will help use and study data to inform strategic business decisions. The successful candidate is systematic and meticulous with detail and is effective at analyzing diverse data sets to draw useful business insights and actionable recommendations. The successful candidate has strong skills in data mining and business analysis, and will be able to present data in an easy to consume and accessible way.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continuously recommend new and better ways the Benetech Global Literacy Program can use their customer data to improve their business by identifying actionable insights
- Analyze marketing data to identify opportunities to optimize marketing impact
- Collaborate closely with data and information architects to understand and contribute insights to data structures required to support key business analytics
- Work with cross-functional teams to assess validity of prototyped data structures and reports; propose optimizations, improvements, and additional requirements
- Identify and understand customer segments and their behaviors and preferences
- Create marketing program measurement process and help establish benchmarks
- Help develop and implement ongoing data collection strategy
- Build queries on various source systems and data warehouse to find trends and anomalies in the data in support of various strategic and tactical projects
- Ensure rigorous quality control over data, analyses and metrics
- Prepare specific analytic deliverables, including reports, graphs, dashboards, and presentations
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in data or marketing analyst role working with digital marketing data (i.e. search, email, web, social, mobile)
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience using a reporting application to produce or modify end user reports (e.g. R, Tableau, Pentaho, , SQL, Crystal Reports, Cognos)
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience with web analytics packages
- Experience with Salesforce.com and Google Analytics (with strength in at least one)
- Ability to collect data, analyze trends, identify strategic recommendations and present them in an logical manner
- Extensive experience with MS Excel including macros, formulas, pivot tables, and data sorting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (ability to synthesize, organize and present data) for interacting with internal clients of all levels and functions
- Ability to take large amounts of data and communicate succinctly and effectively, including visualization of data
- An innovative, positive, and self-directed attitude
- Organized, self-motivated, hardworking, dedicated, with a strong sense of accountability
Not Required but a Plus
- Experience working with Education
- Experience analyzing data from generated from education technology products
- Experience with online marketing campaigns, planning and/or research
- BA/BS with significant coursework in marketing, mathematics, economics, MIS, statistics or related quantitative field
- Data analysis
- Marketing analytics
- Social Media
- Communication skills - verbal and written
- Listening skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in team environment
If you want to help us build Benetech, please submit your resume through JobScore and be sure to include a cover letter with your resume. We want to hear about your interest in this position and your relevant experience.