Communications Director at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
The Communications Director’s primary goal is to ensure that Benetech is no longer one of Silicon Valley’s best kept secrets! As one of the world’s top organizations applying technology for maximum social benefit, Benetech needs to clearly and engagingly articulate its social impact to engage current and potential donors, volunteers, corporate partners, employees and users. The person in this role will set and guide the strategy for communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral material to consistently articulate Benetech’s core messages. The Communications Director will seek opportunities to ensure that Benetech is viewed as a nationally and globally prominent and respected social enterprise which provides essential humanitarian and beneficial services to fill unmet societal needs.
The Director of Communications will work closely with senior communications and marketing staff within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement public relations and promotional campaigns and strategies for a leading nonprofit organization with a focus on developing technology for social good.
- Develop media relations policy.
- Develop communications materials and messages consistent with and supportive of organizational branding and values.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan in collaboration with the senior staff.
- Oversee development and coordination of online content that engages supporters
- Advise senior staff on proper public relation interview techniques before media contact.
- Coordinate with project teams on their project-specific communications efforts to ensure consistency of core Benetech organizational messages. Serves as project-specific communications staff for projects too small to have their own resources.
- Coordinate with the fund raising development team to ensure communications programming aligns with our fund raising objectives.
- Initiates, develops, and maintains local, national, and international media and public contacts for disseminating information. Researches and writes news releases.
- Direct the production of publications. Writes materials for and directs the layout of informational materials such as newsletters, blogs, white papers/essays and posters.
- Oversee production and direction of media presentations such as videos and recorded interviews. Develops the material and script when necessary. May operate various cameras, audio-visual equipment, and other production equipment.
- Research materials for and writes speeches and position papers on selected topics for other staff as needed.
- Arrange interviews for and regularly briefs Benetech staff on sensitive and/or controversial issues; recommends public relations course of action in crisis and in routine public relations situations.
- Acts as company spokesperson, representing Benetech at community meetings, media interviews, and at local, state, and national conferences and governmental functions as necessary.
- Interpret company programs for the media and the public
- Manage use of contracted advertising and public relations.
- Manage the organization’s advertising, public relations, and promotional budget.
- BA degree plus four years of high level experience in managing communications, marketing and/or public relations for a national or global organization.
- Established network connections with key media outlets and people.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, time sensitive projects.
- Creative, flexible and energetic.