Business Development Officer at Benetech in Palo Alto, CA
This is a position for an experienced professional with excellent writing and analytical skills who can work as part of the Business Development team at Benetech to develop funding sources to support multiple programs and projects. The Business Development Officer will be project manager and primary contributor on a broad portfolio of assigned research and writing projects.
This role includes researching, organizing and writing grant proposals that support Benetech's short- and long-term fundraising goals. The Business Development Officer will also collect, manage and synthesize grant-related information; develop grant budgets and reports; monitor grant status; and write for publication projects as needed. Strong communication, organization and project management skills are essential to this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Development Team and Program staff to identify priorities and needs to pursue through grant development.
- Research foundation, corporate and individual grantmakers to identify prospects and to assist in developing proposal strategies. Recommend funding opportunities to pursue from pool of prospective grantmakers.
- Maintain a broad technical understanding of products offered by Benetech’s programs and competitors.
- Lead the design, planning and execution of large federal proposals, business plans, white papers, LOIs and concept papers. Manage assigned projects from kickoff to archive. Accountable for on-time delivery of each project assigned.
- Create and manage proposal production schedules. Proactively communicate to the team and/or project lead regarding the status of tasks and projects, including potential impacts on delivery dates. Clearly outline and communicate next steps.
- Manage internal approvals of proposal content and scoping, and all stages of production from rough draft to completion.
- Coordinate reports to funders. Work with staff to collect program outcome data and evaluate performance. Produce status reports on grant activity. Write and submit reports in a timely manner.
- Support research and writing of award nominations that will provide funding and increased visibility for Benetech.
- Produce grant tracking reports from database for strategic planning and budget management purposes.
- Research individual grant makers.
- Perform other job related duties and work on special projects as needed.
- Demonstrated successful writing experience in a professional setting. Ability to develop compelling proposals, reports, LOIs and white papers with a high level of detail orientationExceptional communication, interpersonal and writing skills and leadership ability
- Excellent research, planning, conceptual, analytical and strategic-thinking skills
- Ability to work as part of an enthusiastic and passionate team on a variety of projects
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects and deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- Creative problem-solving ability, with a willingness to imagine solutions where society sees problems
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with thoroughness, accuracy, timeliness and good humor
- Ability to grasp technical concepts quickly
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and general ease with software and technology
- Bachelor's degree required, with a concentration in English, journalism, communications or marketing preferred
- 3- 5 years of progressive experience and success in grant/proposal writing
- Experience with the high technology industry or the human rights field desirable
- Project Management experience highly desirable