Witty Writer / Content Strategist (Tech, Software & Startups) at Axiom Zen in...
Axiom Zen is an idea catalyst and software development consultancy. A collective of entrepreneurs, hackers, hustlers, and designers. We create, advise, and develop technology for iconic companies building the future of digital life. We practice agile development, take pride in a collaborative culture, and swing for home runs. We focus on shipping products that are commercially exciting or socially essential, and practice an end-to-end approach, carrying each concept from ideation to production to market launch and beyond.
We are a team of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs looking for one or more part-time to full-time writers / marketers / social media gurus who are interested in working with (and writing about) startups, technology, and entrepreneurship.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with a small and fast-paced team, taking on significant responsibilities, and completing projects without baby-sitting. We're looking for talented writers who love everything technology-related, and who won't blink at being asked to jump in and write about backend architecture, the latest in design trends, or esoteric details of angel and venture financing. We want you to be challenged, rewarded, and empowered. To produce works that millions of people will love to engage with.
The work can be divided into four general themes:
- Dynamic and exciting press releases, news/magazine articles, and blog posts covering typical events in the life of several startups: funding announcements, partnerships, feature announcements, branding articles, interviews with management, etc.
- Working with specific individuals to "ghost-write" or co-author blog posts, guest posts, and eventually a book or two
- Website-, marketing-, and event-related copy for technology startups and other companies
Longer term: developing in-house style guides, training other employees/freelancers, etc.
Real Artists Ship. We live by that motto, and love to hire folks with a demonstrated record of curiosity and resourcefulness.
This position requires an intimate understanding of the norms and nuances of written English as well as an interest in marketing, branding, and being part of something BIG. You will have to quickly understand our goals and clarify objectives, research and internalize the required information, and bring everything together in language that informs and tantalizes without wasting words. Key skills required:
- Outstanding written English language skills, including reflexive familiarity with standard American grammar, spelling, punctuation, usage
- Hunger to learn and improve, strong interest in technology and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to quickly distill source text into clear, brief, accurate summaries with pizzazz
- Self-starter, excellent time-management skills, open communication
- Ability to grasp and put into use concepts and procedures that are constantly changing in a start-up environment
- BA or equivalent; major concentration in English, Writing, Journalism, or related discipline
- Experience writing with developers / engineers as your audience
- Demonstrated passion for (or contacts within) tech press / PR
- Design and/or coding expertise
- Previous startup or tier 1 agency experience
Solid understanding of web design and development best practices, responsive web design, coding, debugging, and testing patterns, API/architecture, and new technologies/frameworks, methodologies and productivity tools
Our perks are always evolving, and all team members share equally with senior management. We provide full life and AD&D insurance as well as premium vision, dental, and extended health care benefits. The team receives quarterly credits to exciting products & experiences as well as additional bonuses as the company achieves milestones. We believe time outside of the office helps us think outside the box, and using great products helps us build them better.
Axiom Zen runs on a dual model: we drive healthy revenue but also invest in R&D for the future. Between our stock options and equity ownership plans and our contributions to traditional retirement programs, you can rest easy that a career with us is well rewarded. We are also very keen on supporting intellectual growth, and will provide financial support for courses, seminars, certification, and degree programs as appropriate for long-term team members.
When You Apply:
- Please include a cover letter explaining your goals / motivations / desires / interests, as well as how you think you can help us based on the description of our needs above.
- Please include a resume/CV and representative samples of your work (remember we want dynamic, engaging, and preferably tech- or entrepreneurship-related stuff. No sweat if you don't have much, just send us the best you got.)
- Be funky, don't be shy. Tell us what you've loved and hated about previous jobs, and what you're looking to gain out of this one. The more honest you are the better match we can make.